Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BeeKeeper needs help. willing to pay a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HornerDees

Hello all. I am looking for help! I am making bee counters like the one on instructables. https://www.instructables.com/id/Honey-Bee-Counter/

My problem is im not any good at all at making or Modifying PCB's. I need the PBC from that page Modified to use the QRE1113GR that's a SOP-4 foot print. the original uses a QRE1113 that was the DIP-4 foot print. I have no idea how to change this. I downloaded eagle but I cant figure it out. Im a beekeeper not a programmer. lol I have bitten off more than I can chew.

Id also like a version with TCRT5000L in place of the QRE1113GR.. I found a better price on them.... any help is appreciated. this is going to stay and open source project, so any help given helps all bees and beekeepers. after I get this to work im looking to make a scale to track the waight of a hive if anyone has any ideas for that as well. ;)

Sorry I can't help re the pcb.
im looking to make a scale to track the weight of a hive if anyone has any ideas for that
What sort of resolution are you hoping for? Trying to detect a few extra bees or added honey or whatever would be tricky as it would only add a tiny percentage to the total hive weight. Major unknowns would be weight changes due to surface loads (rain/snow/dust) and water absorption by the woodwork.

It's ok if you can't help rework it some one will I hope. As for the scale. A hive can be 200kg and the wt can shift as much as 2oz to 14 lbs a day when a nectar flow is on. I have 4 load cells and am planing on making a bridge. I think I should be able to get it to read every .5 lb. That would be enough to now if a flows on. If they are in darth, they eat 2lbs a day if nothing's coming in. Or if they throw a swarm as they lose 2 to 10 lbs of bees to a swarm.

hi HD,

When you say you have 4 load cells, do you mean 4 load cell elements.?

Whats the specification of the cells.?

Eric

Can you give a link directly to the board and schematic you need (.brd and .sch files)? Alternatively, post the files here.

There appear to be multiples of that circuit on a single board. Second, going to a surface mounted device (SMD) for one component may mean changes to SMD for other components. If not, you will have some vias. Do you plan to make the PCB yourself or have it made at a board house?

John

Hello Eric this is what I have. I have always heard them called load cells but I think as individuals they could be called either....

4 PCS Weighing Sensor Strain Of Half-bridge Sensors 200KG
This is a half-bridge load sensor, which is widely used in weight scales. When the half-bridge is being stretched, it

sends signal via the red signal wire. You can use multiple load sensors simultaneously to increase the capacity range.

Two sensors full-bridge measurements: 50kgx2=100kg
Four sensor full-bridge measurements: 50kgx4=200kg
Parallel use to add additional capacity

Capacity (kg): 50
Comprehensive error (%F.S): 0.10
Output sensitivity (mv/V): 1.0±0.15%
Nonlinearity (%F.S): 0.05
Repeatability (%F.S): 0.05
Hysteresis (%F.S): 0.05
Creep (%F.S/3min): 0.1
Zero Drift (%F.S/1min): 0.1
Temp. Effect on zero (%F.S/10°C): 0.3
Temp. Effect on Output (%F.S/10°C): 0.1
Zero Output (mv/V): ±0.3
Input Resistance (Ω): 1000±10
Output Resistance (Ω): 1000±10
Insulation Resistance (MΩ): ≥2000 (100VDC)
Excitation Voltage (V): 10
Operation Temp. Range (°C): -10~+50
Overload Capacity (%F.S): 150
Method of connecting wire: Red= Sig + ; White= Exc –; Black= Exc +
Dimension (mm): 34*34*8

If the hive can be 200kg and the load is unlikely to be evenly distributed then one or more of the 4 sensors will be loaded more than its design maximum. All 4 sensors could be operating at/near their max even if the weight is evenly distributed. Not ideal. You will need more than 4 sensors; or heavier duty sensors.

hi HD,

Agreed, I would class them as half bridge load cells rather than quarter bridge strain gauge elements.

IMHO you will be hard pressed to get +/-0.5lb [0.227Kg] , thats around +/-0.1%

As you have noted weather conditions, including the wind and temperature, will 'appear' to change the hives 'productive' weight.

The bridge excitation is 10Vdc.

I am assuming the spec' table you posted applies to a single half bridge cell.???

An Instrumentation amplifier would be my choice, say single power supply version.

Does the hive have a 'local' power source, ie: mains etc.?

E

Wow I did join the right forum didn't I!!!! Yes the specs are for individual load cells. I picked the load cells purely based on price. I could use 16 of them for the prices I saw on other single load cells. On the other hand I have no idea how to do that. Lol. The hive has power close by. Also I was planing on a solar panel and batt in any of my remote apiaries. I'll go look at the instrumentation amp you recommended Eric any specific model or design you recommend or is one much like another.

Alec a beehive is vary evenly distributed in a hive. That Being said ill l will look for a schematic that uses 8 of them. Your right if nothing else it should give me better resolution.

In trying to make a system similar to NASA's honeybeenet. I think it could be useful also any help you guys can give me I thank you for I'm going to make this open source.

hi HD,

All the load cells I have used are rated to 110% of their specified full load.

The 'base' weight of the clean unpopulated hive could be Tared Off, so say you have a 'base' weight of 200Kg, this would be Tared off to give a displayed weight of Zero.

A low cost version of a IA [Instrumentation Amp] that will work from a single supply of 10V is the AD623.

As the 4 parallel half bridges will not have a 'differential' output I would add a resistive network across the 10V to give the centre voltage reference for the IA.

E

Ericgibbs gives good advice.

If 'live' loads (wind / snow and the likes) do cause problems you would simply need to shield the hive with a wind break and a roof! This could be done quite easily with an outer hive shell and independent inner shell. You'll need a well desinged IA to avoid noise sources and drift.

In my university days a college was sucessfully getting a heartbeat signal from a person standing on a load cell - so i've no doubt that this is possible. Wasn't easy mind, electronicaly and mechanicaly issolated lab enviroments with calibrated damping system for the one person it was tested on - darn impressive though!

Have you considered buying a new load cell that comes complete with accessories? Sometimes lower quality versions of load cells can under perform in terms of years of service. On the other hand, the higher the spec of the equipment the more likely it will be able to deliver the measurement with greater accuracy and capacitate more heavy duty tasks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back