Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic Serial Port Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

grudge

I'm pretty new to electronics but I want to learn and I'm still busy getting to the basics. I'm busy doing a project at home, but I need some kind of remote control for the pc. I was thinking of an IR remote control, but I'll maybe do that later. What I Basically want to build, is some kind of circuit with a few press buttons, this circuit is then connected to the serial port on my pc. Depending on which button you press it sends a certain signal(bit ?) to the serial port. The programming part on the pc, receiving the signal I'll prob be able to do, but the circuit is something which I don't know how to do...

Any ideas ?

Serial Comms

What you need to interface with the serial port is :-

A voltage level shifter from RS232 +/-12v to logic +5v (maybe a MAX232 chip)

A UART (universal Asynchronous Recieve/Transmit) - I would have suggestsed a 6402 for this but they have gone obsolite! I guess you now need to consider a microcontroller with an integral UART such as the PIC16CR63.

The rest is just programming.

Re: Serial Comms

mechie said:
What you need to interface with the serial port is :-

A voltage level shifter from RS232 +/-12v to logic +5v (maybe a MAX232 chip)

A UART (universal Asynchronous Recieve/Transmit) - I would have suggestsed a 6402 for this but they have gone obsolite! I guess you now need to consider a microcontroller with an integral UART such as the PIC16CR63.

The rest is just programming.

Do you maybe have a circuit for that ? I'm not sure how one would do that..

Look at this page for basic idea:
**broken link removed**

If this is not what you want search for "PIC serial port" in www.google.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back