Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bare LCD Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visitor

Greetings,

I came across a dozen HannStar HSD043i9w2-A01 TFT-LCD displays today for a good price (free). These are 4.3" displays with 480×272 resolution. These displays have a 24-bit parallel interface (8× red, 8x green and 8x blue), and a resistive touch screen.

I take the 24 bit parallel interface to mean that these displays don't have a display driver chip?

Am I oversimplifying thinking that adding a circuit board with an LCD driver, a resistive touch screen driver and a boost circuit to drive the LED backlight wouldn't be too difficult?

Any tips from people who have done this? Favorite driver chips?

Datasheet

Datasheet of the -B01 version with additional details about LED backlight and other info.

20200627_222136_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Attachments

• 20200627_222136.jpg
    20200627_222136.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 198
They do have a controller onboard to translate the RGB, clock & Sync inputs & timing to pixel locations and intensities.

It looks very much like a "DPI" type interface?
The Raspberry Pi boards have built-in support for DPI display, so it may be worth trying one with one of those screens.

More info here:

Ahhhh, this makes sense. I was thinking of an I2C or SPI type of interface, as is used with ESP8266/32 chips. I'll compare what's on the flex cable to the RaspPi DPI interface and see how they match up.

These displays are listed on ebay as a replacement for displays on GPS devices but without any specific details.

Should have guessed if my surplus electronics place is giving them away that they might not be the most useful ;)

Thanks for the info – you learn something new every day if you're not careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back