Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ARM Cortex

Status
Not open for further replies.

millwood

Banned
has anyone worked on those chips? they are the next gen from the ARM7/ARM9/ARM11 series and seems to be much faster than ARM7, and spans a wide performance spectrum.

I am thinking more about the lower-end chips (Cortex-M3) than the higher end chips.

Any thoughts?

has anyone worked on those chips? they are the next gen from the ARM7/ARM9/ARM11 series and seems to be much faster than ARM7, and spans a wide performance spectrum.

I am thinking more about the lower-end chips (Cortex-M3) than the higher end chips.

Any thoughts?
Worked on certainly covers quite a bit of ground. I've read the data sheet and I'm considering one for an application. Does that count?

they just seem to offer a lot of performance for the money: a 60mips (1.25mips / mhz @ 50mhz) chip for less than a dollar. That's pretty amazing.

It's like winning the Scottish Lottery. You get $1 per year for 1 million years.

Im thinking about starting with the ARM7 and staying there for a while :D

Digi-Key - 568-2093-ND (NXP Semiconductors - LPC2102FBD48,151)

seems like a good IC to use alot... of course ill start with a dev board tho. But when i do need to create something im sure that will fit in the requirements... if not there are a ton more and all are about same price as PIC.

I know there isnt alot of support for ARM7 like PIC here but im sure ill learn alot and help alot.

GREAT PLACE TO START:
http://www.esacademy.com/myacademy/classdescription.php?category=&classid=35

This is better tho:
http://dkc1.digikey.com/us/en/tod/NXP/8-bitToARMConversion/8-bitToARMConversion.html

Last edited:
They aren't "nextgen" per se. They are more like the ARM series but designed from scratch to be a microcontroller rather than a microprocessor. The M3 is the equivelant of the ARM7, and so on and so forth. I'm planning to use the M3 for the next thing I build because of the packaging and the programmer and IDE can be had for a fair price.

Last edited:
jason: they all look like great mcus.

dknguyen: which programmers are you thinking about? I am new to this jtag thing and haven't had it all figured out.

I thought on architecture basis, cortex (harvard) is quite different from arm7 (von neumann). cortex (m3 at least) doesn't run the full arm instructions but just thumb(2?).

I am just amazed at how much more you can get out of those chips.

Jason: there's where I am not fully comprehending this whole jtag thing.

it seems to me that some arm chips (lpc for example) have internal bootloader that once up on reset can receive data on its own. so why do we need such an expensive device?

also, some of the schematics I have seen about jtag seems to suggest that it is taking signals from a db25 connector (rst, tms, tdi, tdo and tck), buffer them through a dual 232 chip and then dump them onto the same pins on the chip, with the rst signal reversed. that doesn't seem to be too difficult to wire up by oneself; and why do they need that buffering (for speed?)? so it seems to me the simplest thing would be to wire everything straight and then invert the rst signal (with a transistor). or if you are really cheap, program a dip8 pic to buffer it.

then there seems to be some compatibility issues as to certain cables are compatible with certain chips but not others so I am not sure where to begin.

Last edited:
I am still foggy on this whole flashing thing because I thought you could do that from within keil mdk.

as to dual 232, you can try 244, which is dual 232 and they go for like a quarter each, give or take a few cents, :).

from what i could comprehend, there shouldn't be anything but a straight pass-through for those pins (other than rst - and why would they make that a reverse logic is beyond me anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back