Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are there any oscilloscopes that can plot Current Vs Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuickStrike

I know oscilloscopes only plot voltage VS Time but I have to ask.

Are there any oscilloscopes that can plot Current Vs Time?

No company would make one and nobody would buy one because it is easy to convert current to voltage with a simple resistor or a current transformer.

I disagree. I have used current probe attachments on O Scopes for many years. Much like a clamp on current meter, these probes give a very good indication of the current passing thru a lead, in a graphical manner just like a voltage probe. However, they are small so the lead size is limited to 1/4 inch diameter or smaller.

I do not know where one would buy them, but they were available at one time.

Dialtone

The current clamps for scopes are low value resistors with the correct gain setting wired into the plug. Nothing fancy, you can get ones with current sensing devices, but these themselves are, wait for it, low value resistors and guess what, the voltage developed across the resistor is used to represent the current. If you want to spend lots of money you can get magnetic sensors that use the Hall Effect to detect current, but guess what, these also detect a differential voltage and apply the correct gain. If you want to spend even more money, you can use a tuned inductive corner current sensing device, but, this uses the Hall Effect and you've guessed it this uses a differential voltage to represent the current, damn you just can't sense current without voltages getting involved. Well you can, but this adds an extra load, (usually complex rather than a very low impact purely resistive load), which is not really what you want, all those extra calculations, and not to mention the circuit would not behave in the same way, so all those extra calculations would be complex as well.

You can't really win with this one. The cheapest and perhaps one of the best ways is to use a low value resistor in series and apply the correct gain or vertical setting on the scope. This will show you the current waveform in the time domain. If you do not want to interfere with the current and just sense it, this is the best way without spending lots of money.

audioguru said:
No company would make one and nobody would buy one because it is easy to convert current to voltage with a simple resistor or a current transformer.

this is right with resistiv charges

but it isnt when you have a L or C charge or charge mixt

:?

DTMF said:
audioguru said:

this is right with resistiv charges

but it isnt when you have a L or C charge or charge mixt

:?

Current is current! - you simply pass it through a resistor (non-inductive) and measure the voltage drop across it - simple ohms law!. It doesn't matter if you have inductors or capacitors, a resistor still converts current to voltage.

A current transformer though is bound to be frequency dependent, at least to some degree - where as a resistor isn't (within reason!).

but a resistor will disipate power

clamps are by far the best approach

Styx said:
but a resistor will disipate power

clamps are by far the best approach

A resistor will certainly dissipate power, but by minimising the voltage drop across it, you don't waste much.

I was under the impression that clamps were only suitable for high currents? - where a resistor can work for any current.

Resistors are also simpler, and probably more reliable? - as any 'contact' method is going to be.

Styx, as Nigel said, claps are not really too good for small currents. In case you did not read my previous post clamps are in themselves resistors, unless you use expensive ones. The Hall Effect, which is the phenomena used in such devices, is a very slight and under normal conditions undetectable effect. They dissipate less power but at a cost, you need deep pockets and you need to be able to put up with generally higher noise floors, and slower response times. Take a look at https://www.allegromicro.com/ I have used their 754 series hall ...more resistance in the tracks of the circuit.

Define low current?
We have some current clamps (TEK) here at work that can measure upto 500A.
We have some rowgowski coils (PEM) that can measure upto 6000A

We also have some current clamps (TEK) that can measure upto 20A and has been used downto 100mA with verygood accuracy

We also have some rowgowski that are 20A peak rated, downto? dunno

Also LEM can go downto 500mA.

Dont get me wrong resistors are good, but are only good for a pre-defide current range. You cannot get one that would do 0 -100A with accuracy of 0.5A, the noise margin at 500mA would be terrble.

For currents less then say 20A I would use a sense resistor but even then I would look on what it was for, a fixed current level or full current control.

Above 20A, no question some form of hall-effect sensor

Admitidly propper current shunts that go back on themselfs to reduce inductance can have pretty good noise characteristics, but still

All I can say is horses for courses

Styx said:
For currents less then say 20A I would use a sense resistor but even then I would look on what it was for, a fixed current level or full current control.

Perhaps you haven't noticed?, this is an ELECTRONICS site, currents as high as 20A would be VERY uncommon, and the other figures you quoted EXTREMELY rare. Most electronics work at mA or uA, with low amps occasionally, so mentioning currents associated with heavy machinery seems pretty pointless?.

Funnily enough we spent a few weeks in the heavy machines lab at tech (by accident as it happened, which didn't get sorted out till I complained), and one experiment we did was 'phase shift' with a resistor and capacitor.

The capacitor and resistor were three feet tall, and probably a foot square, on wheels, and for the supply we had three phase mains (440V) on bare brass screw terminals on the wall!. I couldn't believe how dangerous that room was! - presumably it's no longer like that?.

It takes many horses to pull 6000A! :shock: :shock:
I wouldn't put my 'scope near anything that powerful. It hasn't measured anything over a couple of amps. :lol:

audioguru said:
It takes many horses to pull 6000A! :shock: :shock:
I wouldn't put my 'scope near anything that powerful. It hasn't measured anything over a couple of amps. :lol:

You would be supprised. That is only for DeSat testing since normal operating current are around 600A. DeSat we reach 4000A (from a 350V link) but only from like 6us, so not that much more dangerous.

@Nigel
Nice reisistor...
At you point I know this is an electronics site but there have been a few motor driver question of upto and including 15A and a few thyristor question, just looking at it from the point of view where mA is just noise.

Of course current can be converted to voltage outside the oscilloscope, or inside the oscilloscope (or probe), but either way it is voltage which causes beam deflection on the display so conversion will occur somewhere.

hi
I work in power electronics....we measure current up to 1200 amps dc with current shunts. also measure a.c. and d.c. current with split core clamp ons no electronics involved up to 1000 amps. and as low a 1 amp. clamp ons and current transformers are limited to about 400 hz but their are manufactors that make wide band transformer types to 1000's of hz

joe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back