Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any advice on identifying the HV wires on an old flyback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently acquired a few old RCA 115876 flyback transformers. I could use some help identifying which wires go to what. It's an old fashioned style flyback. I'm also pretty sure that the red wires are low voltage because they only have a couple of turns on them. I just need to know how to find the input and high voltage output of this transformer. Thanks in advance -Ray

Pictures would help. These don't sound like yours but...
Flyback primary.jpg
Flyback 12v.jpg

i wouldn't try arcing the big red wire to anything without knowing what it is.... but that oscillator should give you enough voltage on the other windings to identify most of the connections... make sure the 2n3055 is properly heatsinked too... some of the windings will be isolated, some will not. be careful around the high voltage wire as well as the focus and screen wires. the high voltage wire and the focus wires have enough voltage on them to fry a typical DMM, and the screen voltage could damage some cheaper meters.

I've recently acquired a few old RCA 115876 flyback transformers. I could use some help identifying which wires go to what. It's an old fashioned style flyback. I'm also pretty sure that the red wires are low voltage because they only have a couple of turns on them. I just need to know how to find the input and high voltage output of this transformer. Thanks in advance -Ray
Hi, are you selling any of those 115 876 flyback coils? I am looking to purchase one. They're not easy to find anymore.

Hi, are you selling any of those 115 876 flyback coils? I am looking to purchase one. They're not easy to find anymore.
I might sell you one, I just need to check how many I have left. I got them from an old electronics store that recently closed down. LNL electronics, I think it was around since like 1965.

Hi and yes I would appreciate it if I was able to purchase at least one of your flybacks. I wasn't sure if you needed pictures of the one I have which was starting to burn. But I can provide them here right now.

I have a few photos of the part after I already took it out of the TV. And then I have another photo of what it looked like when it was in the TV set and how it is connected.

IMG_20210110_114244.jpg
I'm actually starting to disassemble this television this morning to get all of the dust out. Thanks again!

Ron

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_094756.jpg
    IMG_20210124_094756.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20210124_094814.jpg
    IMG_20210124_094814.jpg
    872.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20210124_094901.jpg
    IMG_20210124_094901.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 179
Also, let me know when you do have one so that I can provide you my shipping address. Also let me know how to work out the payment. I can pay by either credit card, PayPal, check or money order through the mail. Thanks again!

Ron

Also, let me know when you do have one so that I can provide you my shipping address. Also let me know how to work out the payment. I can pay by either credit card, PayPal, check or money order through the mail. Thanks again!

Ron
Wow, what set did it come out of?

It's this one right here. I've been taking pictures of it for my Facebook page. The TV was built back in 1968. Has a CTC 35c chassis. There's a heck of a lot of dirt in here and I'm trying to get all of that out ahead of time.

I'm still going to refinish the cabinet even if I'm unsuccessful with fixing the high voltage. I bought the TV for a ridiculously low price of $1.09 on eBay. And that was just for me to secure the winning bid. I actually had to hire bids on it but nobody else wanted the TV.

It came from Nacogdoches Texas. Cost me about $116 to have it shipped over here to my house. Probably not too bad for a television that was practically free to begin with.
IMG_20210124_125755.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_122607.jpg
    IMG_20210124_122607.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20210124_122618.jpg
    IMG_20210124_122618.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20210124_125235.jpg
    IMG_20210124_125235.jpg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 175
I meant to say that I had placed 2 bids on this. My first low bid was for $20. And then I placed a high bid of $90. But being as though no one else wanted it and there were no other bids placed, it went back to the starting bid of $0.97.

The man who owned this out there said that he was willing to give it away for free in his local area if he couldn't sell it. So when I saw it I figured I'd go ahead and take a chance on it and see what I could do with it.

I figured I could always sell the chassis and the picture tube out of this separately if I had to. But I really hate to do that because I've always wanted to clean up and restore something like this and get it working.

I meant to say that I had placed 2 bids on this. My first low bid was for $20. And then I placed a high bid of $90. But being as though no one else wanted it and there were no other bids placed, it went back to the starting bid of $0.97.

The man who owned this out there said that he was willing to give it away for free in his local area if he couldn't sell it. So when I saw it I figured I'd go ahead and take a chance on it and see what I could do with it.

I figured I could always sell the chassis and the picture tube out of this separately if I had to. But I really hate to do that because I've always wanted to clean up and restore something like this and get it working.
Thats a really nice set, I have an old RCA set from 1947.

I also have this big beauty which was purchased from the Antique Warehouse in downtown Steubenville Ohio. It's a 1949 Admiral TV with an AM radio and a 3-speed automatic turntable.

I think I paid $150 when I got it about two years ago from the warehouse and he delivered it here at no extra charge. And I spent the last five months on this unit replacing all the capacitors and condensers.

Also changed wiring which had to be replaced. Replaced all the weak vacuum tubes with either good ones or New Old Stock tubes. And I also redid all the mechanical work and adjustments on the turntable.

Replaced both drive belts for the both speeds on the turntable. And installed a new pickup cartridge which will play both the albums and the 78s with no harm to the record. Also touched up the outside of the cabinet which actually has the original stain under all of the gloss coating I put on there.

The TV works perfectly other than the picture tube being a little bit out of focus, but not that bad. It's currently up for sale on my eBay account. Was hoping I would sell this for a reasonable price.

IMG_20210125_111550.jpg
Then I could move the RCA TV in place of it if I actually get that one working.

Attachments

• IMG_20210125_111559.jpg
    IMG_20210125_111559.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20210125_111616.jpg
    IMG_20210125_111616.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20210125_111630.jpg
    IMG_20210125_111630.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20210125_111652.jpg
    IMG_20210125_111652.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20210125_111658.jpg
    IMG_20210125_111658.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20210125_111708.jpg
    IMG_20210125_111708.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 180
Hi, I forgot when you asked me earlier if the old flyback I have works. I haven't tried turning the TV on with that part in there when I first got it from the other owner.

But based on what he told me, the old part was burning. And he told me there was no high voltage. I did run tests on it with my ohm meter. And the readings come up exactly the same as what's listed on the electrical schematic.

As far as if any of that fine wire could be shorted because of the break down inside, it's hard to tell.

Hi, I hadn't heard back as far as whether you had any more of those flyback transformers left? If not, that's OK.

I also have this big beauty which was purchased from the Antique Warehouse in downtown Steubenville Ohio. It's a 1949 Admiral TV with an AM radio and a 3-speed automatic turntable.

Wow. I had one just like this in junior high we got from a friend of my dad! (that was a few years ago)

It had the same round TV and flip-out turntable, but I don't remember the radio...that detail could just be lost in the fog of time.

Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back