Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anti theft device help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
HiTech said:
Hey Marks256, what you fail to realize is that in the adult buisness world $hit rolls down hill all too often and it's no surprise that the owners pass off the blame. Unless there is a specific clause or agreement/contract that requires the manager to cover all bases regarding such thefts, the owners should be a part of the solution to the problem.

Here we go again... "Age" this and "age" that. pff... :rolleyes:

I am changing my agreement from HiTech to Nigel. Taking the DVDs out are the most logical thing out there... And if they steal a case, then it will make them feel really dumb... :D

I'm the first one who suggested that they be removed from plain view or easy access!!!!

Do you want a cookie or something?

I like the musical birthday card idea, I find the idea that Happy Birthday to You can be used to indicate criminal activity hillarious. :D

As Good idea as it is, you can't do it without opening the case to insert the circuit.

I agree with HiTech anyway.

RFID? He said the spines of the cases are being cut and only the discs are

being stolen. I don't know about you, but I would notice an RFID tag on a

disc, then promptly peel it off. This doesn't even touch on the issue of the

balance of the disc. I'm not sure about embedding the RFID tag in the disc,

but it seems obvious the owners wouldn't foot the bill on that one.

Sig239 said:
RFID? He said the spines of the cases are being cut and only the discs are

being stolen. I don't know about you, but I would notice an RFID tag on a

disc, then promptly peel it off. This doesn't even touch on the issue of the

balance of the disc. I'm not sure about embedding the RFID tag in the disc,

but it seems obvious the owners wouldn't foot the bill on that one.

I wouldn't think that the thief would examine the disk inside the store, be pretty obvious to be seen with a naked disc. I had been thinking the disc would be a blank or dummy disc, obviously a movie disc would be damaged or destroyed. Since they already have the empty cases... stuff a disc in one that can be detected. I still believe its kids, the law won't do squat beyond call the parents, but word will get out after a couple get caught, and they move on to an easier store (if that's possible...).

Wonder if you could fit a mini stun-gun in a DVD case? The flash unit from a disposiable camera is small and lightweight, only 1 AA battery for power...

but the lawsuit will cost a lot more than that little AA battery...

Marks256 said:
but the lawsuit will cost a lot more than that little AA battery...

What lawsuit? Wouldn't get zap, unless the case is opened. Have to admit to attempted theft. Wouldn't do any serious harm, maybe make the little thief wet his/her pants. There has to be some injury or damage, a new pair of underwearr is cheaper than filing costs.

All the thief's lawyer would have to claim is that he/she is/was mentally ill, and could not determine right from wrong. Shocking devices are really frowned upon...

Chances are really good that the person who put the shockers in there would get in quite a bit more trouble than the person steeling the disks...

Marks256 said:
Do you want a cookie or something?
As a matter of fact, I do. Please make it a snickerdoodle or a ginger snap and not an Internet cookie.:)

How about a Cat5 cookie? :D

**broken link removed**

HarveyH42 said:
I wouldn't think that the thief would examine the disk inside the store, be pretty obvious to be seen with a naked disc. I had been thinking the disc would be a blank or dummy disc, obviously a movie disc would be damaged or destroyed. Since they already have the empty cases... stuff a disc in one that can be detected. I still believe its kids, the law won't do squat beyond call the parents, but word will get out after a couple get caught, and they move on to an easier store (if that's possible...).

Good point.

HarveyH42 said:
Wonder if you could fit a mini stun-gun in a DVD case? The flash unit from a disposiable camera is small and lightweight, only 1 AA battery for power...

I like it. Or how about using the fake disk, but glue it in place, then glue some well paced razor blades in there too. "Geez, I guess he must have cut himself with that razor blade he was using!" I bet he/she wouldn't steal discs anymore.;)

a solution that springs to mind, is a 555 timer circuit as an alarm , with a piezo speaker and a 9v block battery .a closed loop wire with taped to the inside of the dvd box. when the wire is broken the piezo will sound to the frequence from the 555. Do a search on the net for alarm 555 you should find plenty. Also with a program called crocodile clips you can simulate your circuit. (download free trial)
If the block battery dont fit, you can use any supply from 3 to 18 Volts.

If you have an agreement with the distributors or whoever that the DVDs must be in the cases for the new releases, and you don't want to have to modify every unit which comes in through the door, why not skip the problem and keep new releases in a locking display case? Or behind the counter/under a glass counter? The furniture purchase would probably be cheaper and less labour-intensive than opening every case to stick an RFID chip on the discs. That might be OK to start with but man would that get tedious.

Torben

I like the 555 idea, except put a phototranistor in there. The chances of the wire getting cut is slim, but light getting through is pretty probable...

Marks256 said:
I like the 555 idea, except put a phototranistor in there. The chances of the wire getting cut is slim, but light getting through is pretty probable...

He said they are cutting the spine. One small strip of copper foil going the short way across the spine in the middle would have to get cut in order to make a slit long enough to get the disc out. A razor blade won't even slow down.

Just do about ten of them, and keep them about waist high, these will be 'dummies'. Mark them, so you know which ones are dummies, and keep the ten corrosponding real ones behind the counter. When someone brings up a dummy just do the old switcheroo. You just have to remember to put the dummies back out and bring the real ones back behind the counter as they are rented. I was thinking to just do this for one of the most sought after titles till you catch one of them, then randomize it a little bit after that.

If you're lucky they will have a couple other titles already before they get caught with the dummy. The stakes will be higher and they may freak out a little.:D

He he, get a 17yo kid to pee his/her pants...

I guess you have a point there with the foil. I thought who ever suggested it ment an acutal wire! :eek:

stinkbomb

there is another way,without an electronic device, cheap too.Put a stinkbomb in the DVDcase ,and as soon as you smell it lock all the doors and phone the police.:D

And if the theif is allergic to the chemicals? Oh yeah, and the store would smell like crap...

Sig239 said:
He said they are cutting the spine. One small strip of copper foil going the short way across the spine in the middle would have to get cut in order to make a slit long enough to get the disc out. A razor blade won't even slow down.

Just do about ten of them, and keep them about waist high, these will be 'dummies'. Mark them, so you know which ones are dummies, and keep the ten corrosponding real ones behind the counter. When someone brings up a dummy just do the old switcheroo. You just have to remember to put the dummies back out and bring the real ones back behind the counter as they are rented. I was thinking to just do this for one of the most sought after titles till you catch one of them, then randomize it a little bit after that.

If you're lucky they will have a couple other titles already before they get caught with the dummy. The stakes will be higher and they may freak out a little.:D
I suggested basically the same thing on January 8th. I guess it's too simple. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back