Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anti theft device help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scofdaddy

Hello, This is my first post. I'm hoping someone can help me out, My wife is the manager of two local video rental stores and is having a problem with theft. Someone is stealing DVD movies from their cases, they are doing so by slicing the spline of the case open and taking the disc out of the backside of the case, they used to just break the lock but that was time consuming and they sometimes got caught so they have moved on to this. I have tried it and it is a very fast way of getting the case open and is undetectable as long as no one sees you.

So, my problem is how to alert the staff when this is happening. I would like to place somekind of battery powered alarm inside the case, the disc does not have to be in it - I am hoping to just do it to a few of the new releases since these are the ones they are taking. Most everyone has seen a dvd case, so given those dimensions is there anything I can buy or make that will signal intrusion.

Thanks for any help,

Bryan

wait a minute --- you wish to come up with a battery powered alarm that can fit inside a DVD case? Even if you can come with such a small device, what about the enormous costs to outfit all those DVDs? Why not go the route of RFID or similar technology that retail stores are using everyday? Or for that matter, why are the DVDs discs even on the shelves? Normally it's just the empty case that customers pull and then hand over to the cashier who retreives the disc for them. This isn't rocket science, thwarting DVD thefts. As a manager, she should be already aware of various theft reduction methods.

Why do you continiue put the DVDs on the shelves?

All the shops I go to just stack the selves with empty boxs, the customer takes the box to the sales desk and the shop assistant gets the DVD from the store, puts it in the box and sells it to them.

HiTech said:
Normally it's just the empty case that customers pull and then hand over to the cashier who retreives the disc for them.

This is the case with all the discs except for the new releases and a few others, the owners have them keep the new releases in their case and locked, why - I don't know, they have argued over that several times. The problem with that is when they are short on their inventory the loss comes out of my wife's bonus, so I don't mind spending a little money to save some. It also comes down catching the ones responsible.

I wish his wife managed my bank office. Maybe then they'd leave cash out on the countertops for us to help ourselves to!:eek: :D

I would think the DVD case with a battery would have a different feel, weight/balance. You might get lucky once or twice with kids, but the legal system will be reluctant to do much for you. They don't care about your business, just don't want to ruin a kids life...
You should look into the RFID stuff, don't know a whole lot, but they can be as small as a grain of rice, might even have CD/DVDs with them already embedded. I bet yours isn't the only store this happens at. Also, look for some trade journals. Every market has them, might even find them online if you know what to look for.

The best way is to keep your valuables out of reach until the purchase.

HiTech said:
I wish his wife managed my bank office. Maybe then they'd leave cash out on the countertops for us to help ourselves to!:eek: :D

No abuse or slang to be used!
Please be friendly toward any other member of this forum. We do not tolerate any type of abuse or bad language on the board so please refrain from using it. If you are caught your posts will be removed and your account instantly disabled and banned.
(If you notice a post that violates this rule please send a private message to ElectroMaster.)

above as posted in the posting rules section by the moderator

I just asked for help not a bunch of crap

thanks again

LIGHTEN UP!:rolleyes:

He was only messing around, don't take things so seriously!

Anyway, if they insist on keeping the new releases in the boxes then refuse to sell them.

Either that or invest on a better CCTV system.

Aah! ElectroMaster is the mod's name! That is right... I forgot... :D

Is there anthing you could do to the case itself? I am thinking of those large, hard plastic things that audio CDs are somtimes in at the stores. I don't know what they are called, but the casier has to press it into a device to relese the CD when you pay for it. Is there anythng like this for DVD cases that would prevent the spine from being cut?

I have to agree that the alarm thing would be hard to do. I'm no EE, but I can't think of how you would do it and get it to work well and not give false alarms.

Do you have CCTV? If not its not all that expensive these days. What about fake/simulated CCTV? Even cheaper, but certinly not as effective. Do you have any sort if signage to make theves think twice? VIDEO SURVALANCE IN USE, Shoplifter will be prosecuted, that kind of thing? Might not be all that effective, but certinly would be cheap.

Since you said they are cutting the spine of the case and slipping the disc out, and your alarm scheme would not require that the disc be in the case, I'm assuming you just want to catch the thief in the act of cutting. You might not be able to get him for theft, but you could get him for destroying merchandise, I suppose.
My first thought is just a simple piece of foil inside the case, bridging the spine where you expect the cut to occur. Cutting this would enable a high-volume piezo alarm.

The situation in this video store sounds like something out of a Dilbert cartoon..
...secure all your stick except the high value items.
I am not sure of the logic behind this, sounds like something devised by your wifes "pointy haired boss" to avoid paying a bonus.
Is the wholesale price or the retail price deducted from the bonus?
If it is the retail price, I suspect that her boss is a bit of a weasel.

So to the techincal aspects of the problem.
If you could get hold of a few of those inserts from musical birthday cards, and insert one of those in the DVD box so that the music is triggered when the box is opened, you have a cheap lightweight solution.

JimB

yes, but what if the foil doesn't get cut all the way? How offten does this crime happen in the store, scofdaddy?

Marks256 said:
yes, but what if the foil doesn't get cut all the way? How offten does this crime happen in the store, scofdaddy?
How ya gonna get the DVD out without cutting the foil all the way?
I like Jim's idea, except I think you can get piezo alarms that are much louder.
EDIT: If they are slipping them out without opening the case, I think you need the foil.

Last edited:
I agree with what HarveyH42 about using RFID they really are effective. I have joined a seminar about RFID's and they are really cool. This is best suited for your problem. Its so small that thefts would not even notice. But the problem is they are expensive. I dont know in your place but here in the philippines its expensive

Scofdaddy said:
No abuse or slang to be used!
Please be friendly toward any other member of this forum. We do not tolerate any type of abuse or bad language on the board so please refrain from using it. If you are caught your posts will be removed and your account instantly disabled and banned.
(If you notice a post that violates this rule please send a private message to ElectroMaster.)

above as posted in the posting rules section by the moderator

I just asked for help not a bunch of crap

thanks again
LOL-- good one!:p You failed to mention that it was the owners' stupid decision on the matter. Normally a manager would make such choices, therefore leading me to think that sh'e in charge of the store --- sheesh!
Like I said, explore the use of RFID. It can be applied to a good number of merchandise within the store. Other than that, tell your wife to keep bucking heads with the owners. If they are worried about losses, they should rethink their priorities or suffer financially on their own. They are passing the buck from her bonus into their wallet. That kind of spineless cr@p makes me want to reach through this monitor and slap them a good one. It's their business and they should be spending the investment dollars to keep it successful, not you or your wife.... as much as you may believe that it's possible for you and her to look like heros to them should you come up with a solution.
I go through this same old cr@p with my wife and the owners of her store. She's slowly realizing that she's still just an employee, and not the one reaping in the real bucks to pay for their Florida vacation home, country club memberships, and luxury cars.

I agree with HiTech (i know, i am starting to worry... me agreeing with HiTech? Hell has frozen over... :D just kidding, HiTech! :D :D )

If the owner is stupid enough to loose profits, and not do something about it, it is his/her problem, and it will be stuck with them on THEIR reputation, not yours.

Hey Marks256, what you fail to realize is that in the adult buisness world $hit rolls down hill all too often and it's no surprise that the owners pass off the blame. Unless there is a specific clause or agreement/contract that requires the manager to cover all bases regarding such thefts, the owners should be a part of the solution to the problem.

It's the owner's store! Replacing the manager won't stop the thefts, unless it involves somebody turning their back while the theft is occuring. The manager should only need to propose a solution, the owners should pick up the tab (does the lost profits out weigh the cost to control it?).
Packing an alarm inside the case most likely won't be very effective, and costly.
RFID might be a good investment, but depends on the sales volume and actual loses. Could be costly to setup.
A low tech and cheap solution, hang out at the store, and watch the customers, maybe you can catch one in the act. I'd think your theives are most likely kids, teenagers. Thefts, shortly after school hours. Mostly groups of two or more. Most adults could download even new releases off the internet and burn a copy in a day or two, and less likely to risk jail for shoplifting...
Mirrors have been a good deterent, and not very expensive. Cameras, whether functional or not will help. Unfortunately, society is a little to forgiving of kids commiting crimes. Parents are too limited in how they can legal discipline their children. Fear of getting the hell beaten out of me, kept me out of trouble, for the most part...

As suggested right near the beginning of this thread, the answer is simple and obvious - remove the DVD's from the cases - like all the other ones.

There doesn't seem to be any obvious reason not to?, stuff the owner - the manager ought to manage and get it done!, it's him who's paying for the losses!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back