Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna For Fm Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is a Chevrolet made by General Motors. Their electronics division Delco make their car radios. My previous cars also had Delco radios.

A good FM tuner has a sensitive tuned RF preamp (many radios do not have an RF preamp or have the preamp untuned so it is easily overloaded by strong local stations) with automatic gain control (most radios do not use AGC for the FM RF preamp). The IF amplifier has very high gain and many sharply tuned LC and/or ceramic filters.

My first job was fixing then designing Chrysler car radios in a Philips factory in 1968. The first car radio I worked with was designed in Europe and was old but worked fairly well. It had an 8-track tape player. Newer radios using ICs and cassette tape players were designed in the office I worked in. I built prototypes of new ones in the lab. They needed to meet spec's when very hot in summer and very cold in winter so we baked them in a huge oven and froze them in a freezer.

My home receiver is made by Yamaha and it also has a very sensitive and selective FM tuner.

I bought two name-brand (Sylvania) clock radios on sale for only $1.75 each. They sounded AWFUL! I increased the audio coupling capacitor values and connected speakers I designed and made and now they sound perfect. They pick up strong local stations well but not weak distant stations.

My Sony Walkman portable FM radios have a local-distant switch. In the Distant position they are overloaded by all the strong local stations and in the Local position then they do not pickup weak distant stations.

One "local" FM station I listen to is requesting listeners to tell the government they are having trouble with reception because they want to re-locate and increase the power of their transmitter. Their transmitter was stupidly located far from my major city where they have their office. The location is on a mountain and they wrongly thought it would give good reception but it is too far away and many tall buildings were built in between. Sometimes I receive interference on the same frequency from a station far away in America!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back