Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADT Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

midas10000

Question........
I have an ADT alarm system that is wireless and is not activated to their central office anymore. What I want to do is change the phone number to their office and put one of my own. Any ideas on how to program this unit?

Gentalmen:
I'm not trying to screw with someone's alarm here, this is my own unit here. I don't want to pay for the service anymore. All I want to do is put a friends number in it to call if something happens.
Thanks

ADT Alarm (or any alarm for that matter)

Your 'ADT' alarm is able to transmit a signal to a central monitoring station via your phone line using a pre-determined digital code to a specialized receiver/computer interface. To oversimplify it, its like a FAX machine's signal if you have ever picked up the phone when it was sending/receiving a FAX. All you hear is a series of beeps and screeching. If you programmed your neighbor's, mom&dad's, etc. phone number into the alarm and it sent an alarm to them, they would just utter a few choice words (ie. "What the H@ll is that?") and hang up.

Radio Shack sells a 'Voice dialer' which you can connect to the bell output of your alarm. It will dial up to 3 pre-programmed telephone numbers (ie. mom&dad, the neighbor and your cell phone) and deliver a pre-recorded message (ie. "Joe's alarm is going off please check it out!").

I have not used one myself, but I imagine it comes with excellent documentation on how to hook it to any generic alarm system.

You will either hook it directly to the "BELL OUTPUT" (observing polarity!) or you will need to purchase an additional 12 volt relay to provide a non- powered (dry contact) switch to the dialer. Consult the well written documentation which accompanies the dialer.

Make sure that you still have an alarm permit filed with the local authorities. If anyone calls the police when your alarm sounds you can be subject to a hefty fine if you do not have a permit, even if they attend and find a bad guy in your kitchen eating your cookies! :)

You'll need a programmer . . . and since only ADT has the appropriate programmer to make the desired changes I believe you are out of luck there my friend. A lot of people in my area who want to do similar things to what you are asking simply remove the ADT panel and install a new one that is/can be programmed to call whomever you want. You may be able to call ADT and have them "rig" up a way that they can have your system programmed to dial your friend instead of the central station . . .Good luck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back