Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Accurate Temperature Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soda Ant

I was planning to use an LM75 for a temperature sensor for a weather station I'm building until I read the datasheet and found that its accuracy is only +/- 2C.

Is there another sensor I can use that's accurate to +/- 0.5C in the temperature range -10C to 50C?

Dallas semiconductor makes several good choices for accurate temperature measurement.

Why do you need that accuracy?

Maxim (aka Dallas Semiconductor) carries single chip silicon-based temperature sensors accurate to 0.5C:
The DS600 is the only analog output device they have with that accuracy:
**broken link removed**

THe rest are digital interface such as the DS620 or DS7505:
**broken link removed**

Needless to say, you could do the same thing with an RTD (with a much greater stability and accuracy over a much larger temperature range) at greatly increased cost, complexity, and hard to find parts.

Last edited:
Why do you need that accuracy?

If I were building a weather station that I wanted to be taken seriously, I'd want that kind of accuracy. Same for wind speed and rainfall.

Dean

if you have a computer involved you can add a calibrate function to that program. this avoids the additional expense of more acurate sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back