Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A little POV with a 18f1220 and hot glue LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
sine wave = somewhere the spelling went south and now sign is spelled sine
so a sine wave is placing a sign or sine how ever you spell it and go surfing or stand on a street corner and wave the sign around -- LOL
I saw a website several months ago that showed how to make a sine wave using a pic.

You don't need a true sine waves.
A square wave will work to your not going to power a grid

a high powered PIC!
wonder just how much current can be developed using the link I posted?
the link shows an LED so I assume 10-20ma at least?
perhaps use a 555 to generate the 147khz? then a loop of wire around (like a lasso) the pcboard
the powered loop lays flat under the spinning pc board.
wonder if the inner loop needs to be a large loop as opposed to the powered loop?
makbe just a flat coil at each end of the pc board that is directly over the powered loop?

after reading the link further the author used a jouel thief. I still wonder if having several coils around the permiter (in a circle) then using diodes to convert to D.C.
article also states that the higher the frequency the distance from powered coil to the secondary coil can be increased but he is out to 4 inches away!. Your project the coils wouldn't be more that an inch away.
and a 555 timer is mentioned as alternative to producing the 147khz square wave.

i have a ton of 16F pics that are SMT so i will use them instead of 555. This way i can also make a digital part to it to show me on a LCD the freq im on

thanks! I like the PCB one. Its cool.Id rather make a PCB coil heh.

Why so many turns and so large. I got to search inductive coupling or something? it would be nice to know the Freq to size of coil and etc... More links plz :D

I have in my hand a kids toy that does exactly what your trying to do. If I was home I would post a video (you will have to wait a week)
ALL the electronics are in the base not rotating. the LEDs(red, yellow, blue green) are mounted in a ring that rotates. Less mass rotating. the ring is vertical with two of each color led (half on top quarter of ring and the other half are on bottom quarter.
ring is 2-2.5 inches across.
entire unit runs on 5v.
I want to take it apart but LOML says no way!!
visualize a large O looking from the side. divide into 4 sections. going from top left going clockwise 5 LEDs in top left quarter then 5 LEDs in bottom right quarter. All mounted on outside of ring. Only weight rotating is the ring and LEDs.
might be easier than trying to rotate the PIC resistors etc on a long mass of board.\
5 slip rings

wonder just how much current can be developed using the link I posted?
the link shows an LED so I assume 10-20ma at least?

That is not an LED, it's a neon indicator. The voltage across it will be around 100V and the current a fraction of a mA. Note also that it will be AC.

Mike.

if you look at some of the videos they are using LEDs along with a diode for D.C.
a note on slip rings = use a wooden dowel with sections of copper tubing glued to dowel.
a small grove before applying the rings would suffice for channeling the wires..using carbon brushes or even brass strips for contacting the slip rings

That is not an LED, it's a neon indicator. The voltage across it will be around 100V and the current a fraction of a mA. Note also that it will be AC.

Mike.

I did it with 10 volts and a little trick you posted Mike and a 12f508 big chip haven't used one in a while took me a hour to remember how to use gp.2 as output lol

It put's out a whopping 15ma lol and I winded the two coils one to one about 100 turns of number 30 copper wire on each

This isn't the best video but you can get a idea that's 15 ma AC using a square wave
I think it's 10 volts may be wrong there but I'm setting high 5 volts and the swinging low 5 volts should give
a peak to peak 10 and a rmms of 5 I think maybe wrong I'm getting older forget a lot LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
how about less turns and larger wire? like 22awg and 40 turns? Can you supply a tiny schematic on how you set this up? I dont want to burn anything out. Here is my setup for making the coil...

img00775-jpg.46320

Attachments

• IMG00775.jpg
    IMG00775.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 218
you should use a section of PVC pipe then you could slip the coil off easily. using screws you need to put bushings over the threads so that one or two screws can be removed to remove the coil.
I would think larger diam wire on the powered coil and smaller diam wire on inside coil. wind as a step up transformer = 200 turns on outside powered coil and say 50 turns on inside coil.
might up the current? and or voltage?
regulate afterwords=remember you need to convert to D.C so plan on at least a 2-3 volt or more drop in voltage(worst case planning).
I myself would shoot for 10+ volts then worry about voltage regulation. Remember this is A C

32 LEDs connected to a 18F1220
thinking 11 pins with 3 LEDs per and 150 ohm resistors?
I need to recheck my math, its tooo early this morning.
going to Portland Oregon area to locate an electronics surplus store GIZMOSURPLUS.

nope = 4 leds per pin 2 in series then parallel the pairs with 100 ohm resistors per pair
only 8 pins needed.
using R, G, B, Y,smd leds, an edge card connector for ICSP (keep profile low) and a smd 18f1220 or use a dip.
put unpowered "inside coil" around perimeter of pc board.
I'm thinking a 6 inch square board should do it?

I always wondered how the cordless electric toothbrush works
this inductive power transfer is the method used

heh this is going to be a huge thread/topic soon! :D glad im apart of it so far.

I used the cd case cuz it small. And i can easily remove 2 screws to remove coil. PVC i dont have so im stuck on trying that. I can get but not worth a test run heh. (im too lazy)
Ill make a nice couple of coils in a bit and take some pics and stuff.

get that data on paper. Bebe needs EXACT specs--lol
can't wait to get home to experiment with this myself.
I may need (have wanted to build) a POV clock

I bet I do just don't know a easy way to do it. I'll post that to or better still I'll pm you the idea
and post just the motor idea

hi Burt,
I have seen slip rings made using a standard 0.25inch jack plug and socket.

Sorry to hear about your sad news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back