Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Little Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagsy1989

Hey guys,
I am currently doing a Computer Science degree and Electrical Engineering is one of the courses, While its not my favorite i still want to understand a little bit of it to find it worthwhile.

I have a project that i have to do and was wondering if anyone could give me some information about how i would go about doing it.

Design a decimal synchronous counter to count up or down to 59 and back to 0. (No counter I.C.'s allowed)

Im going to be designing this circuit in EWB and i have gathered that i am going to need to have a switch for user input (clicking to count from 0 to 59) and then another switch to count down from 59 to 0. I also want to be able to click the switch at any time during a count to make it count negatively or positively. Maybe even a Clear to reset everything back to 0.

I just need some ideas on how to do this or any thoughts of what the best implementation of this circuit would be in EWB. Any help would be awesome but you will need to explain it in layman's terms as I'm only just passing this course.

Thanks again guys.

Since the project isn't allowing counter ICs, you'll be using JK flip flops, I assume?

One easy way to do it is get the flip flops set up to count from 0 to 59. That's not too difficult, you'll need 6 of them. Once you have 0 to 59 done, taking the (NOT)Q outputs will do the job of counting down back to zero.

Does that help?

-Mike

Mike,
Thank you so much for your speedy reply. That helps me a lot :D. One more question.. i would then wire them into 2, 7 segment displays would i not? Would i need to run the 6 Jk Flip Flops into something else before i wire them into the displays?

here is a schematic of a universal counter
the discription is in dutch so if you can read that, you have your assigment already solved i would say

just study the circuit and try to explane it yourself with your study books or ask you teacher to help you

if you would show up with something that shows that you want to learn it (showing effort) than (if you have a good teacher) he will deffenetly help you further

by the way the majority of the forum members have the same attitude

sucses

Robert-Jan

Attachments

• elex-1991-96.pdf
    705.9 KB · Views: 240
Thanks a heap rjvh, I really want to learn more about Electrical Engineering but just find all the logic a bit hard to understand... Im going to go through this pdf you sent me with my textbook and try and break it in to english and something i can implement with EWB. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back