Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9V 315 Mhz Wireless LED circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Marchand

Hello,

Let me preface this post by saying I'm very new to all this DIY hobby electronics stuff, so when I sound like an idiot, that's most likely the reason.

I've setup a very simple circuit on a breadboard to remotely activate some 5mm diffused LEDs via a 315 Mhz receiver (adafruit item # 1096). The transmitter is
a keyfob (adafruit #1095). Now that I have the receiver circuit setup I would like to modify the transmitter if I can. The buttons are VERY loud, I'd like to modify or replace them to make them quieter, but I don't know if that's possible.

Could anyone brainstorm a way to modify this transmitter, or aid me in designing one from scratch? Other than transmitting at 315 Mhz, I don't have any other spec for the transmitter...The receiver has (4) channels that correspond to A,B,C & D on the keyfob.

Here are some photos of the transmitter:
VKBAeFd.jpg

7GlKAaZ.jpg

HI welcome, its good to post newb warning, but dont worry about being idiot, we all start somewhere!

but please define loud, do you mean they squeak? or is it chirp in the fob circuit?

maybe cut 3 triangles or a plus sign in to it, but i fear they would have problem depressing after while.
or
cut off top flatten with hammer, and solder back on
or
find the backside of a button from a keypad, common in land phones and tv remotes and glue in to replace metal piece

I dont know if any of these are good ideas though, they are susceptible to failure, and may be a task to attempt since in such a small space, ... just some ideas thou.

Can you use find a scrap keyboard and use the membrane keyboard and cut off the few that you need and hardwire with magnet wire?

I'm not sure how I would wire the keyboard keys to the fob. Right now, pressure applied to the button forces one piece of concave metal to constant another, completing the circuit.
If I "hammered flat" the button it would just be constantly on.

the tv remote buttons are made of rubber with a conductive back (super quiet), as is a Nintendo controller, probably your best bet. google rubber contact switch to get a good perspective of how they work.

the real trick is curling the edges at just the right distance and height so the button is off enough so that the curl can pull it back , but the press doesnt need to go far, you are right as i said its a weak mod, could develop a memory effect and decay over time, specifically with firmer presses, as is the situation in idea 1

but with the remote buttons you run to the same problem, either we need to cut the old button at a smaller radius so that the curl is still there to lift the rubber off, then maybe some glue to hold it down, but we need to be careful since glue is insulation and will clog the contact point if it gets in there or on contact,

can we see the hammer used to push button (the inside of the cover of the button), maybe we can glue it there?

the tv remote buttons are made of rubber with a conductive back (super quiet), as is a Nintendo controller, probably your best bet. google rubber contact switch to get a good perspective of how they work.

This is a great idea! I was able to liberate a sheet of rubber contact switches from an old calculator. When I get home I'm going to try & remove the top of the "clicky switches" why my handy dandy dremel and then replace them with the calculator buttons. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back