Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8x8 display

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriz

hi!
we need your help.
we're going to have an 8x8 display project that will produce different animations and we'll going to use the 16F84 microcontroller.
we based our project in a 5x7 display and it uses only 1 microcontroller.
in an 8x8 display, do we need to have two microcontrollers?
how will that be possible?
aside from that ,in a 5x7 display, there are only three switch buttons that serves as an input to the microcontroller but in our project we'll make it to 5 switch buttons as an input?

pls. help...
thanks... :?

chriz said:
hi!
we need your help.
we're going to have an 8x8 display project that will produce different animations and we'll going to use the 16F84 microcontroller.
we based our project in a 5x7 display and it uses only 1 microcontroller.
in an 8x8 display, do we need to have two microcontrollers?
how will that be possible?
aside from that ,in a 5x7 display, there are only three switch buttons that serves as an input to the microcontroller but in our project we'll make it to 5 switch buttons as an input?

The 16F84 is essentially obselete, and has been for many years - it was replaced by the higher spec (and cheaper) 16F628 - so you shouldn't be looking at the 16F84 for any new projects.

But in this case, even the extra I/O of the 16F628 (16 pins as opposed to 13 on the 84) isn't enough, so I would suggest you move to the 16F876 (28 pins) or 16F877 (40 pins) - both of which are compatible with the 84 and 628, but give enough I/O for your requirements.

I would suggest you try looking at my tutorials, which might give you some ideas? - in particular the dual seven segment display one, which could easily be extended to meet your requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back