Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74160 Chip counter stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

moe_3_moe

Hello,

I am trying to find a TTL Chip that can generate 3 bits number in sequence (8 values). I found the 74160 decade that can count from 0 to 9 ( 0000-1001). and i will be taking this value to a Digital to analog converter DAC. To my understanding, the output value from the TTL chip will increase at each clock cycle. How can i manage to stop that? i want to increment the value at each switch cycle that i hook up. so i want to freeze that count basically.

I appreciate any help.

You can use a NAND gate connected to the counter outputs of the binary value you want the counter to stop. Connect the NAND gate output to the enable counter input.

Last edited:
You can use a NAND gate connected to the counter outputs of the binary value you want the counter to stop. Connect the NAND gate output to the enable counter input.
I am sorry, i don't see how this can work. Example, i want to stop at 0100 , this is the output of the counter. if it goes to the NAND gate it generates a 1 that can go to the enable counter input. so having a 1 or high on the enable counter input means that the counter stops?

i am trying to manage to set the count enable a low everytime it counts 1 and stops. and than it keeps going from where it left. so if it starts at 0, the count enable is low and no increment, i setup the clock enable to high and it increments to 1 and stop and than how to keep going to value 2 without reset?

I'm confused as to what you are trying to do. What is the signal that determines when the counter counts?

If it's just from a mechanical switch, then connect the switch to the counter clock input (with a proper debounce circuit). That way the counter will increment by one for each switch open/close cycle.

i think he wants like a movie theater counter, in which case you just hook your button up to the clock input pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back