Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7-segment LCD's question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodin

I have bought a 6 digits 7-segments LCD.
https://www.elfa.se/elfa/produkter/en/2011641.htm

How do these kind of displays work? I find just one pin that i don't know what it is. That's "B.P" What's that?

By the fact that i just find one pin that is unknown for me, i guess that that pin is ground, and when i connect +5V to someone of the other pins the representing "led" will turn on. Am i right?

I can't find a datasheet for it so i don't know what pins representing what "leds".
The pins are named:
1A
1B
1C
1D
1E
1F
1G

I suppose that these pins represents the first digit, but which ones represents which "led" of the first digit?

Apply power and grounding the suspected ground pin is the right idea, but 5V will probably cook the LEDs, most run of 2-3 volts.

In any case, regarding the abc.... look at this page, it will tell you which letter goes to which segment:

**broken link removed**

For LCD driving need AC voltage. The common called Back-plane (BP). When the segment voltage (AC) reverse-phase as BP the segment is active (black or white: depend from polar-filter position).

Attachments

• 6dig.jpg
    6dig.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 774
For LCD driving need AC voltage. The common called Back-plane (BP). When the segment voltage (AC) reverse-phase as BP the segment is active (black or white: depend from polar-filter position).

I don't really understand what you mean?

If i only have one pin, how can i connect an AC voltage then?

How can i make a 3-4 volt AC from a 9V battery? Is that possible?

elec_lover: Thanks for the good links!

I was planning to multiplex this LCD, but i suppose that wouldn't be possible.

I was thinking of connect all wires (A-G) of all digits parallel, and control with the ground on each of the digits which one to set, which would mean i just need (7 + 6=13) uC ports to control the display.
That would be possible with led displays, right?
But that wouldn't work here, would it? I mean i can't control what digit to write to. If i put all the lines parallel i will set the same number to all digits.

The LCD with one backplane (BP) can't work in multiplex mode.
MUX method on LCD need staircase signal, this is more complicated.
Use shift registers (e.g.CD4094) for each digit:need only 3 wires from processor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back