Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7.1 earphone/speaker switcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmcc

Just got myself a nice set of Sony 7.1 surround sound earphones. As I already have a 7.1 surround sound speaker system for my PC I now need to build a 7.1 switcher.

I was first thinking of using a CD4066 switch which would be powered by USB to switch between the two, then I thought I could probably do it with a 6 pole rotary switch.

Should I go the semiconductor route to build the switcher, or am I overcomplicating things and should I just use a rotary switch?

Update: There are 5 x 3.5mm stereo plugs - oh wait a min...I will need more than a 6 pole switch.

Last edited:
The 4066 can switch only low current. It wouldn't handle loudspeaker current and might well struggle with earphone current.

Ahh ok, thanks.

I've actually thought about it and there is a simpler solution. I'm going to use a few relays. That was I wont have to worry about biasing etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back