Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 with 74HC595 - no microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0AGI

hi everyone
as a way of intro: I am new to this site and a relatively new electronics hobbyist.

A quick summary of my circuit:
I built a simple circuit with a 74HC595 w/ 8 output LEDs. I am looking to hook up the QH' back to the shift register's input pin. But, have not been able to get it to work. The circuit works just fine just as a basic shift register w/o the "ring" capability.

This below set up works as a basic shift register
The circuit uses :
  1. 555 astable as a clock pulse into the 74HC595/SRCLK/main Clock/p11,
  2. a separate 555/monostable/debounced switch as input into the 74HC595/SER/Data/p14,
  3. and an NPN as an inverter for the 74HC595/RCLK/Latch/p12.

I took the QH' pin (p9) and connected that back to p14/Data and that does not seem to work as as ring/loop back. In my limited datasheet reading/knowledge, it appears that I might need to insert a timing delay before I loop back. What I mean by that is, in looking at the timing diagram, The QH' goes HIGH at the 1/2 time mark of QG/high-pulse window and remains high through QH's 1/2 high-pulse. The QH's high pulse remains high after QH' falls low. My newbie brain tells me that I might need to wait till after QH falls to low before I can connect the QH' back to the input. .

Question:
Can someone please comment / clarify and provide any pointers to me or example of how one should get this to work please.

thanks

Attachments

• 2-20190316_205526.jpg
    2-20190316_205526.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 253
How does it "not work"?

But in order for the loop-back to work you need to initially reset all the registers to zero and then input a single-clock pulse to start the loop.
Otherwise there's no way to determine what bits are being recirculated.

A much easier circuit to do that is the CD4022 4-stage Johnson counter.
It will automatically generate an 8 sequential output with no additional timing.

The MR is pulled low at startup and one high pulse is sent into the SER pin. I understand by pulling MR low will clear all bits to begin with.

I dont have a 4022 - but, can look into that too. I am eager to get the 595 route working and learning from it.

thanks for the input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back