Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 leg potentiometer in metal detector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

der

Hey, I'm fixing an old teknetics 1-d/505 metal detector for a friend. The "click on" part of the potentiometer only works very intermittently and needs to be replaced. The problem is that it has 5 legs (looks like 6 with two bonded from the factory, a middle and side one) and two of the pins don't do anything from what I can tell. There are traces on the pcb for them. The other three are like a normal pot, with the mysterious two underneath. Also there are two of these pots in the device and they're identical. Anyone have any ideas as to what these inert yet connected legs are for?

Hey, I'm fixing an old teknetics 1-d/505 metal detector for a friend. The "click on" part of the potentiometer only works very intermittently and needs to be replaced. The problem is that it has 5 legs (looks like 6 with two bonded from the factory, a middle and side one) and two of the pins don't do anything from what I can tell. There are traces on the pcb for them. The other three are like a normal pot, with the mysterious two underneath. Also there are two of these pots in the device and they're identical. Anyone have any ideas as to what these inert yet connected legs are for?
I am assuming you are talking about a pot that turns the unit on and off as well?
So there should be 3 for the pot and 2 for the power switch and maybe some chasse grounds as well one of which may be tied to one of the pot legs.
Can you post a Pic?

4pyros, I owe you a beer! The mystery legs are indeed for the on/off switch. Any idea what its called so I can order one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back