Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3rd Brake LED Light (F1 style)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakata

Hi

I need help for building a small circuit to drive a 18 LED strip to be used as a 3rd Brake Light in my car (12V), that emulates the ones from F1 cars used in raining race.

LEDs should light in the following way:

50ms Burst Flash (1 sec aprox.)
250ms Flash (.5 sec aprox.)
On (steady until off)

I think I can use a 555 but the burst rate will be a problem...any ideas?

Thanks!

PS: Data from the LED strip is here:
**broken link removed**

You could use a PIC microcontroller, with an output driver stage. The possible combinations, sequences etc are only limited by your imagination

Jim

Not here where I live!

Well, then there is a very easy method to get a flashing red light followed by a solid red:

You use two 555 timers which are OR connected to the gate of the FET that drives the brake light or LED. In other words, either 555 can turn it on. Set up one 555 as a free running astabe at some pulse frequency and set the other up as a one shot with an inverter so it drives the LED on solid after the time duration elapses.

When you apply power, the astable will pulse the LED. After the other 555 times out, it turns it on steady.

I built this for my motorcycle a while back (which is how I found out they are illegal here). I don't know any easy way to get two different flash rates in a row followed by a solid red.

Last edited:
Well, then there is a very easy method to get a flashing red light followed by a solid red:

You use two 555 timers which are OR connected to the gate of the FET that drives the brake light or LED. In other words, either 555 can turn it on. Set up one 555 as a free running astabe at some pulse frequency and set the other up as a one shot with an inverter so it drives the LED on solid after the time duration elapses.

When you apply power, the astable will pulse the LED. After the other 555 times out, it turns it on steady.

I built this for my motorcycle a while back (which is how I found out they are illegal here). I don't know any easy way to get two different flash rates in a row followed by a solid red.

Ok!, will try that...I will search for ways to get the sequential flash rates and keep you posted....

Thanks!!!

Another option for pulse-than-steady, like bountyhunter's, is one I made many years ago.

Just in my head...two oscillators + two delay circuits + AND or OR gates. The first two parts are easy, but the logic in the third part will take some thinking.

Actually, now I'd opt for a cheap and easy 8-pin µController like a PICAXE.

ken

Attachments

• BrakeLight.gif
    BrakeLight.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,407
Another option for pulse-than-steady, like bountyhunter's, is one I made many years ago.

Just in my head...two oscillators + two delay circuits + AND or OR gates. The first two parts are easy, but the logic in the third part will take some thinking.

Actually, now I'd opt for a cheap and easy 8-pin µController like a PICAXE.

ken

Hey thanks!, this is a way good start....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back