Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 quistions ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronic boy

Hi ...
1- What does it mean ( FPGA ) ?
======================
2- How I can Removal and Replacement BGA Component ?
======================
3- I will use the solder mask ( Dry Film ) ; But I don't have any informations about this subject .
I am need for some help ..

Thanks ,

2 answers

1- What does it mean ( FPGA ) ?
======================

FPGA stands for field programmable gate array. Altera and Xilinx are the two biggest vendors in this field, with Actel a distant third. Atmel is a relative newcomer to the field, but has an interesting FPGA architecture. The distinction between FPGAs and CPLDs (complex programmable logic devices) has blurred somewhat over the past several years, due in part to marketing hype by the major vendors.

The most popular FPGAs consist of "fine-grained", low fan-in, SRAM-based logic elements, as opposed to CPLDs, where the basic elements are usually "course-grained" cells with an AND-OR, sum of products type architecture. FPGAs generally have far more logic elements than CPLDs, but the combinatorial element in a CPLD can implement more complex logic equations.

The basic building block in FPGAs from Altera and Xilinx are 4-input look-up tables (LUTs) followed by a register. Atmel's devices are also SRAM-based, but use a simple configurable gate instead of 4-input LUTs. Actel devices use simple multiplexers based on anti-fuse technology (which is non-volatile and one-time programmable). Btw, most CPLDs use on Eprom or flash memory, and are nonvolatile as well.

The popular SRAM-based FPGAs can be reprogrammed an infinite number of times, but since they use non-volatile memory, must be re-loaded with a configuration program each time on power-up.

2- How I can Removal and Replacement BGA Component ?
======================

Don't even attempt to remove a BGA component without the proper BGA re-work equipment. You will certainly damage the component and the circuit board. The cheapest re-work stations I've seen run into the thousands of $$. BGA packages are not something the average hobbyist can remove or replace. The alternative to BGAs for high pin count devices are fine-pitch, quad-flat-pack (QFP) devices, though these are difficult to work with, too. You may as well pass on trying to remove or install any having over 100 pins.

3- I will use the solder mask ( Dry Film ) ; But I don't have any informations about this subject .
I am need for some help ..
======================

Can't help you on this one...

- CAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back