Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

230v AC powerd LED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then it would run at half brightness as the LED only conducts through half the cycle. With a half wave rectifier you need twice the current to get the same intensity as you would with a fullwave rectifier or DC.

It's also a good idea to fit a 470k to 2.2M bleeder resistor across the capacitor to discharge it when you disconnect the power.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I know how to read capacitors thank you, but you DON'T label it like that on a circuit diagram! - some small capacitors are marked using that method (but it would be unusual to find a 2.2uF so marked?). Your diagram clearly marked the capacitor as 225uF, and even showed it as an electrolytic! - if you're commonly labelling your diagrams like that you're going to cause massive confusion!.

In hindsight, maybe I should have modified it to minimize confusion. But it was modifed from a schematic that was sent to Korea for mass production. They are not confused in any way over there. I don't know the practice in England but I often read Japanese schematics that use this notation. Using this form of notation is used to save space on very tight complicated schematics.

Since you knew how to read it, why sow confusion by saying it's 225uF when clearly there is no uF symbol? Anyway, the value of capacitance is really not the issue here but the idea of using caps instead of resistors.

motion said:
In hindsight, maybe I should have modified it to minimize confusion. But it was modifed from a schematic that was sent to Korea for mass production. They are not confused in any way over there. I don't know the practice in England but I often read Japanese schematics that use this notation. Using this form of notation is used to save space on very tight complicated schematics.

I've never seen in an any schematic, Japanese or otherwise - and how is 225 shorter than 2.2?.

Since you knew how to read it, why sow confusion by saying it's 225uF when clearly there is no uF symbol? Anyway, the value of capacitance is really not the issue here but the idea of using caps instead of resistors.

No, I know how to read the value like that actually on a capacitor, as I said before though it's NOT used on diagrams, your diagram clearly showed it as a 225uF electrolytic. It never occurred to me that you might be using some strange type of labelling? - certainly you shouldn't post anything that confusing, particularly when it's such a potentially dangerous subject!.

I was lost when I saw the electrolytic in an AC circuit however did not speak as I avoid anything over 50 volts (AC or DC) myself. :)

Get a wall-wart before someone gets shocked or something gets set on fire.

A "104/400V" greencap is pretty big. A "225/400V" greencap must be huge and expensive.

Hero999 said:
it's not green it's orange.
You haven't seen Oriental greencaps?
I have never seen them sold anywhere but many products have them.
They are marked in pF with the 3rd digit as the multiplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back