Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 second delay start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfigaro

I have a compatability problem with a power supply and my graphics card. Due to excessive inrush (so I have read and been told), my pc will not start unless i remove the graphics cards power cable, then press the start button on the pc and then reconnect the power cable within about 2 seconds.
Currently I have put a switch on the 5v rail as an interim workaround but it is a real nuisance and not exactly child friendly
Is there a way to put a relay ( or something) in line with the graphics card so it can only draw current after say 1 second after the pc power button has been pressed.
If anyone responds I would be grateful.

Sounds like you could use a hot swap controller. **broken link removed** is a link to a Maxim part. They have others that you can find on their web site. Maxim, Linear Technology, Analog devices, etc., all have them. You might want to do a Google search for "hot swap controller".

just a thought

perhaps a simple RC circuit, with a timing constant of about 2 seconds? The only problem will be using a resistor small enough where there isn't too much drop - this in turn may create cooling problem, because you'll be dissipating a lot of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back