2 second delay start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfigaro

I have a compatability problem with a power supply and my graphics card. Due to excessive inrush (so I have read and been told), my pc will not start unless i remove the graphics cards power cable, then press the start button on the pc and then reconnect the power cable within about 2 seconds.
Currently I have put a switch on the 5v rail as an interim workaround but it is a real nuisance and not exactly child friendly
Is there a way to put a relay ( or something) in line with the graphics card so it can only draw current after say 1 second after the pc power button has been pressed.
If anyone responds I would be grateful.

Sounds like you could use a hot swap controller. **broken link removed** is a link to a Maxim part. They have others that you can find on their web site. Maxim, Linear Technology, Analog devices, etc., all have them. You might want to do a Google search for "hot swap controller".

just a thought

perhaps a simple RC circuit, with a timing constant of about 2 seconds? The only problem will be using a resistor small enough where there isn't too much drop - this in turn may create cooling problem, because you'll be dissipating a lot of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…