Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

18v battery Bluetooth on/off switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tookeman

I’m wondering if you could help me.
Do you think it’s possible to have an app controlled on/off switch inside a 18v drill battery. To explain what I mean, I’d like to control when my drill works/has power though an app on my phone, so no once else at work can use it but me?

Thanks in advance
Ryan

Certainly 'possible', but it rather depends on there been enough space inside the battery to fit it, in my experience there's no spare space inside batteries.

I agree with Nigel, there is unlikely to be any significant free space in the battery itself.

There is probably some spare space in the drill body though, and that means it is independent of what battery is in use.

For the simplest approach, just a basic bluetooth 4 module could work, using the "state" (connected) output to control a power switch of some sort.
eg.
**broken link removed**

That would enable it just by connecting with a utility such as BLE Terminal or Air terminal etc.

If you wanted a persistent or password-controlled switch, you would have to add a microcontroller, even something like an 8 pin PIC12 that could receive and interpret text commands sent from the terminal app.

I agree with Nigel, there is unlikely to be any significant free space in the battery itself.

There is probably some spare space in the drill body though, and that means it is independent of what battery is in use.

For the simplest approach, just a basic bluetooth 4 module could work, using the "state" (connected) output to control a power switch of some sort.
eg.
**broken link removed**

That would enable it just by connecting with a utility such as BLE Terminal or Air terminal etc.

If you wanted a persistent or password-controlled switch, you would have to add a microcontroller, even something like an 8 pin PIC12 that could receive and interpret text commands sent from the terminal app.

Is there any chance you do me some sort of diagram with all the componts I’ll need as I’m not really a tech guy

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back