Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

13 years of stupidity confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my first chopper transformer failure here in years yesterday. Thought I was imagining that the one primary winding was open. Nope, open it was.

Luckily we've literally hundreds of used ones stripped from boards we threw away. And the exact one I needed was there.

Replaced it and all ok. No other faults on set. Another set that is good for years to come. Both tube and chassis in excellent condition. Tedelex stuff lasts here if you look after it.

I had my first chopper transformer failure here in years yesterday. Thought I was imagining that the one primary winding was open. Nope, open it was.

We used to get a fair number of faulty chopper transformers, but more in satellite receivers than TV's - occasionally they would go O/C (easy to find) but more often they would go shorted turns, not so easy to find.

I am feeling an urgent call for some beers. CRT are pouring in. Never ending lol. The new guy is not allowed to fix anything yet. He has to firstly understand back covers and how to put them on without breaking the board I just fixed.....

Align the back cover sockets first...see if they "come out".

Battling. I was like no. Your making me tired watching this. Got up. Showed him. Still didn't really get it.

Anyway, he's my genius lol.

Gotta keep him safe. He is not made to do simple tasks like putting screw in on back covers.

No way I'm letting him inside a set with all the energy there.

Gotta keep him alive..... and us safe too.

Unless......

I charge a main smoothing cap and throw it at him and shout "CATCH" lol

Snowflakes like him will take offense.

I was caught out with that trick when I first started fixing TV's.

I soldiered on. Wimps are everywhere these days. They think they know stuff... but they know nothing.

Or coffee.... someone makes it for you.

Delicious....drink it.....used spares rattling in the bottom of the cup

Hahaha

Anyway, he has to go. With all his qualifications he is thick as a brick

I've tried hard. Told him to do simple things. Everything involving a screwdriver and screws he battled with. Bear in mind this guy is supposed to be smarter than that..

Anyway, I find him upstairs..staring at his cellphone... checking his WhatsApp messages..

His job he was employed for was to help me get TV's fixed quicker....

As a bonus, I would try to teach him all I know about CRT.

Anyway...I read him the riot act. (Anyone who is to stupid to understand the riot act don't chirp here)

Now he's cross. Lip dragging on the ground. Arms folded.

I explain to him the simple tasks I gave him to do everyday he is not willing to do.... remember he's supposed to smart.

So I slowly start getting fed up now. And talk straight and true and to the point. Always looking at him.

He is not gonna make it in any job requiring any thing that needs work as in using your hands. He won't get get it. All the theory in his head.

This is the new SA generation of geniuses. No help to me as a hands on guy. Absolutely clueless.

Later.

Probably the thing that shocked me the most was I gave him a damaged mains lead to repair.

All he had to do was insulate touching wires and join broken ones. Simple task.

So the simple lead works again

Not rocket science. Repairs it and I plug it in. Hear a breaker trip and the lights go off in the workshop......

He just took tape and joined everything on the lead together....creating a dead short.

Common..... that's not acceptable. Even people that know nothing about electricity do something that stupid.

He just took tape and joined everything on the lead together....creating a dead short.
Sadly that level of knowledge is not that rare...

I've seen cables joined and taped - with the insulated cores knotted together, or just the cable ends taped side by side.

One guy that worked for my brother as a car mechanic used to try and test bulbs by putting a large screwdriver straight across the terminals on a spare battery then just sitting the bulb on the screwdriver.

It was only discovered when the spare bulb stock got low, because none he tested ever worked!
Luckily the battery he was trying to use for testing was a scrap one anyway and already dead, otherwise there could have been fireworks...

I traced a problem in a cable - it had been joined with a reef knot.

I think they should immediately stop all development of A.I. and concentrate on fixing natural stupidity.:D

Mike.

I think they should immediately stop all development of A.I. and concentrate on fixing natural stupidity.:D

Already done, it's called 'Darwinism' :D

The other day three idiots fell off a cliff and died taking a 'selfie', these kind of genes really need culling from the gene pool - but unfortunately many have already passed them on.

Already done, it's called 'Darwinism' :D
If only that were true...

Example on another site, today; A sensible question:
Is this true and does it mean as magnet starts moving aways from the stator coil, induced voltage changes direction?

"This magnetic opposition creates mutual repulsion as a moving magnet
approaches such a closed circuit, and a mutual attraction as that moving
magnet moves away from the closed circuit"

It had various reasoned and sensible answers. Plus this:

No. None of that has been proven. We just know that the generators and motors spin.

Has Physics or even "Science" been totally dropped from schools ? It's just beyond belief..

Has Physics or even "Science" been totally dropped from schools ? It's just beyond belief..

My only experience in recent decades is primary school (as my wife works as a TA in one).

And with the total idiots they keep putting in charge of things (Gove in particular), they just keep messing everything up for the kids education.

For a good number of years now they have continually added specific subjects (and parts of subjects) that primary schools HAVE to allocate a certain amount of time to every week. As I understand it the compulsory hours now exceed the time that the kids are actually at school, and science, art, music etc. are not in these included compulsory hours.

Mostly it's English and Maths (specifically SPAG - Spelling, Puncuation And Grammer), and some of the current primary school requirements were previously not done until (unless?) you did an English Degree at University. Maths wise a considerable amount of the primary school syllabus is what used to be GCSE final exams. And they wonder why they are turning out overly stressed kids who know nothing about the majority of subjects, and tend to hate school because there's no 'fun' or 'enjoyment' allowed any more.

Even worse, when you move to secondary school they haven't had their syllabus altered, so the kids are dropped back 3 or 4 years to redo what they did long ago - to be fair it's not a 'bad' idea, because the level of English and Maths is beyond most of them to understand, as they were simply too young.

If the politicians let people who knew what they are doing set what should be done, things would run a lot better - but all politicians do is knee jerk reactions all the time, trying to cure what they caused the last time they messed it all up.

For examples:

Why are there no young musicians? - because you cancelled music in schools.

Why are kids all fat and eating burgers - because you cancelled cooking in schools.

Why are they no young artists - because you cancelled art subjects in schools.

Why are they no young scientists - because you cancelled science in schools.

He has to firstly understand back covers and how to put them on without breaking the board I just fixed.....
i used to put the monitor face down when reassembling, since rarely was the board tied down to anything

And with the total idiots they keep putting in charge of things (Gove in particular), they just keep messing everything up for the kids education.
government has two functions, protect the borders, and protect the rights of their citizens. anything outside of those two functions are things the government cannot do well, and should not distract itself with.

government has two functions, protect the borders, and protect the rights of their citizens. anything outside of those two functions are things the government cannot do well, and should not distract itself with.

You think they do the first two well? :D

I thought they had one function, to steal as much as they can and to line their own pockets.

Mostly it's English and Maths (specifically SPAG - Spelling, Puncuation And Grammer), and some of the current primary school requirements were previously not done until (unless?) you did an English Degree at University. Maths wise a considerable amount of the primary school syllabus is what used to be GCSE final exams. And they wonder why they are turning out overly stressed kids who know nothing about the majority of subjects, and tend to hate school because there's no 'fun' or 'enjoyment' allowed any more.

Even worse, when you move to secondary school they haven't had their syllabus altered, so the kids are dropped back 3 or 4 years to redo what they did long ago - to be fair it's not a 'bad' idea, because the level of English and Maths is beyond most of them to understand, as they were simply too young.

If the politicians let people who knew what they are doing set what should be done, things would run a lot better - but all politicians do is knee jerk reactions all the time, trying to cure what they caused the last time they messed it all up.

For examples:

Why are there no young musicians? - because you cancelled music in schools.

Why are kids all fat and eating burgers - because you cancelled cooking in schools.

Why are they no young artists - because you cancelled art subjects in schools.

Why are they no young scientists - because you cancelled science in schools.

What a load of absolute bunkum !!

Look here .. .. .. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back