Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120v AC to 120DC @20amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHELLIE

Hi Everyone :) here is what I would like to do, is to convert Household current120V AC or a 12v 2500Watt inverter to 120V DC for a HHO hydrogen Fuel Cell/ Generator, My High School Electronics is a Little Lacking Here :) LOL I found this on Yahoo answers, but need a little more help with it,a wiring diagram would be nice :) LOL Thank You for your help in advance, Chellie

bradster... Member since:
April 11, 2007
Total points:
617 (Level 2)

Best answer 8%249 answers
Total Points: 617 (Level 2)
Points earned this week: 5
Add to My Contacts
Block User
Resolved QuestionShow me another »
120VAC to 120VDC converter?
I'm looking for a converter that will convert standard 120VAC to (around) 120VDC, at 18A. I couldn't find anything that would go up to 18A, at 120VDC. Does anyone know of a moderately cheap (under $100) converter that will give me what I want?

I also found a speed controller at Harbor Freight for $20, it can handle 250VDC at 15A. Does anyone know of a speed controller that can handle up to 20A or more?
4 months ago
Report Abuse
by ►BobB◄
Total points:
70608 (Level 7)
Badge Image:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
120VAC to 120VDC is EASY!

you will need a 10A bridge recitifier, that means that you can safely use it in a 20A circuit (10A per side - it works! doubt me, look at Astron 12/35 power supply schematics)

I would use a lm317 as a regulator, at least 6 2N3055 pass transitors on a heat sink.

Last edited:
I would use a lm317 as a regulator, at least 6 2N3055 pass transitors on a heat sink.

Did you mean at least 16 (sixteen) 2N3055?

Why not use MosFets or IGBTs? They have less losses than a bipolar transistor.

Boncuk

Thank You Boncuk :) That was a fast Reply :) I was just using some info that i found on the internet as far as the Example goes, Take care, Chellie

Will this work :) 120V household current to a **Bridge Rectifier 50 Amp 50A 1000V GBPC5010 AC to DC and a Electrolytic Capacitors, 1000 uF, 200 Volt, as a smoother for 120V DC ? ? ? I am making a 120v DC power supply for a HHO hyd generator, the DC current will be flowing through water with an electrolite, to produce oxy hydrogen, Thank you in advance, Chellie

Power Supplies

I remember in High School, that someone hooked up a Selenium Rectifier the wrong way to 120v AC, It shorted out and stunk up the whole class room, gee that was the worst rotten fart smell i have ever encountered :) LOL

Last edited:
It is true that you can rectify, right off the power line, and the result will be almost 170 volts on your capacitors. It is true you can use that power to seperate water into HHO. Both of these processes are deadly dangerous and should not be trusted to high school students.

I don't mean to insult you. It's just that I was too stupid to manage that much dangerous power when I was in high school, and I think it's awful for people that young to be carried out in bags. Please have some old fart in charge. He/she might be able to make sure nobody gets hurt.

I was wiring full houses and working with 240 100 amp circuits by the 11th grade and building portable Tesla coils that ran in the tens of KV range in high school.
I dont see any problems with this circuit.

Thank You Bychon for the quick Reply :) The Reason I am Asking these questions are to be safe, these Questions are Easy for you Electronic Gurus :) I was in High School back in the 70s when someone hooked a rectifier the wrong way :) I am the OLD FART incharge :) LOL ,i am 55 years old, but i dont look it, when i go out to the clubs to go dancing, people think i am 28 / 29 yrs old, I Love it, the Lord has been very good to me :) I have worked with millivolts and up to 440volts 3 phase :) I am Very Very Careful :) I am Still here Right :) Take care and Stay Sweet, Chellie

But were you putting the live wires directly into a bucket of water to see the explosive gasses evolve?

This is one 12v to 120 converter that is on the market, and other people have made a AC to DC converter from the house hold current, I just want to make sure that I am being safe in my design to make a ac to dc converter, the 120v dc will be hooked up to a hydrogen generator and it will be insulated, i am using a dry cell hyd gen designed for high voltage use and 12 or 24 volts,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65w-U-THIqg&feature=player_embedded

the grey box hanging on the board in the video is a 120v ac to 120v dc converter, they dont sell that converter, so i am having to try to make one :)

12V to 120V Power Module

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
we are not putting live wires into a bucket to see the gas evolve :) we are using MFG Dry cell Hyd units :)

I know. I was objecting to tcmtech because his post sounds like he's saying that most random high school kids should be safe rectifying thousands of watts and applying that to something that makes explosive gasses, like water would. I think that is not a responsible way to act in public.

Power Supplies

I remember in High School, that someone hooked up a Selenium Rectifier the wrong way to 120v AC, It shorted out and stunk up the whole class room, gee that was the worst rotten fart smell i have ever encountered :) LOL
LOL, that's the property of Selenium diodes!!

Chellie, 55yr old boy or a girl ? :)

Safety is a state of mind and nothing else.

Where I grew up and still live its common to see kids as young as 13 using high powered riffles for hunting and often times high schoolers who have their own vehicles will carry them to school in their vehicle with a load of ammunition so that they can go out hunting right after school.

I dont care what city people think is safe or unsafe by their standards. Its what you grow up with and how responsible you decide to be that determines what you are or are not safe with.
I also know adults I would not trust with a toaster and a butter knife by themselves.

I would either put a variac in front of the mains rectifier or build a soft start before it. The initial current draw to charge up the capacitor will be HUGE.

how many cells are you running wit this voltage??? 120v dc is capable of running around 100cells, thats a big hydrogen generator. what are you planning on doing with the gas created??

I would either put a variac in front of the mains rectifier or build a soft start before it. The initial current draw to charge up the capacitor will be HUGE.

Ok Thats a good idea :) would a AC motor speed control work for that, or a dimmer switch ? Thank you in Advance, Chellie

In a book I read the other day, you would be a 'Neek', which I thought was pretty cool for a nerd/geek :p

It's nice to see a girl interested in technology, there are far too few of them.

That Neet :) a Neek :) LOL I am also into RC E Power aircraft, i use Lipos, Electronic Speed controls, brushless motors and go fast :) I have a foam jet doing 103 MPH, I started a 100 MPH club on Wattflyer.com, its a forum dedicated to E Power flight, and it took me forever to Qualify to be in the club that I started :) LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back