Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12 volt DC Single Use Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripperM

Hi!

I know that the circuit I'm looking to build is simple, but I have not been able to make anything work yet.

I'm looking for a way to set up a momentary push button switch so that it connects to ground when pressed once, then disconnects once it sees 12v+, only to be activated again by pressing the switch. I'm thinking that I will need to use a latching relay (or multiple relays) to make it work. Any idea on how I would do this?

Heres a set reset relay ciruit, one coil sets the circuit and the other resets it, fairly simple to make one coil energize grounding it and the other providing +12v.
https://www.google.com/search?q=relay+set+reset+circuit&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=cwi9IWFYQszsvM%3A%2C3YLL9iZe4UfQbM%2C_&usg=__VL1vRRp8wg_TuP8RrkkXfDO3VwE=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLj532yPHbAhVMK8AKHcl7DtIQ9QEILTAB#imgrc=fBD6SAWkzj1MwM:

Thanks! Helps a lot to know the proper name for the circuit! We're you referring to a specifc diagram? That link goes to the google search results. I'm assuming both are latching relays?

I'm looking for a way to set up a momentary push button switch so that it connects to ground when pressed once, then disconnects once it sees 12v+, only to be activated again by pressing the switch.
Sorry but I don't really understand what you are asking. :confused:
What is "it" that disconnects when it sees 12v+?
Where is the 12V+ coming from?

Sorry but I don't really understand what you are asking. :confused:
What is "it" that disconnects when it sees 12v+?
Where is the 12V+ coming from?

My apologies. "it" is the ground lead to the remote starter in my truck. I want the circuit to be open unless I press the momentary (set) switch. Instead of having another momentary switch for the reset function, I want it to be triggered by a relay. What triggers that relay, I am still trying to figure out. Basically, I only want the truck to be able to be started by the remote one time, then have the circuit go back to open until I push the button again.

So I bought this locking relay, and am planning to figure out a way to wire in a standard SPDT 12v relay to trigger the reset. My thoughts so far are to have that relay triggered by a turn signal, or wiring up a timed relay to pulse after the truck has been on for a few seconds.

29178925548_26d289cf77_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back