Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

100% non-electronic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi All,

in many posts I read an abbreviation: "IMHO".

Well, many abbreviviations are created to explain them using more words than using plain language from the beginning. :)

If I try to get the meaning of that example I come to the conclusion it must be something like "In My Holy Opinion", which can't be true. (The only person on earth is the Pope of Rome who probably has a holy opinion. :D )

Would somebody tell me in plain language what it stands for?

Kind regards

Hans

In my honest opinion.

If it makes you feel better I know what it means and I forget all the time. Every time I remember it's like the first time all over again :)
However in forum land there is almost never such thing as an honest opinion:(

Last edited:
I thought it was "In my humble opinion".

Edit, A search reveals that both are correct.

Mike.

Last edited:
I Might Honestly Object.:mad:

In My Halfwit Opinion. :confused:

I May Have Objections. :(

I Might Have Overstated.:eek:

Information May Have Omissions. :eek:

Last edited:
Most of the times I've seen it used 'honest' seems more appropriate to me. There are probably a half dozen ways you could say it that would make sense. I like humble though =) Not a lot of humble posters <chuckle>

Last edited:
Most of the times I've seen it used 'honest' seems more appropriate to me. There are probably a half dozen ways you could say it that would make sense. I like humble though =) Not a lot of humble posters <chuckle>

IMHO, it means humble. Since when have you ever heard someone say "In my honest opinion?"...NEVER!

Many times dk... It doesn't have one meaning, it's an acronym....

There is a guy on a TV infomercial selling his books about snakeoil (cheap and simple natural remedies) instead of prescription and over the counter drugs. He says that the drug companies got the US government to sue him but he appealed and now must never say that his snakeoils cure diseases but must say that it is his opinion that his snakeoils cure diseases.
It is my opinion that he is not a doctor but he is a quack.

However in forum land there is almost never such thing as an honest opinion:(

Why post if you are going to tell a lie? :confused:

I had to learn a lot abbreviations in aviation. One of them I will never forget.

When starting flying IMC was used for "Instrumental meteorological conditions" (bad weather).

When I changed aircraft to RF4-E I had to learn that IMC means "Image motion compensation". (used for the low panoramic camera, a really impressing piece of equipment: 6 frames of 29.5inches/sec well focussed from horizon to horizon) :)

I like "In My Humble Opinion" more than "In My Honest Opinion". :)

Greetings

Hans

Boncuk, humble opinions are just as rare as honest ones =)
It could just as equally be replaced with.
In my haired opinion.
In my honored opinion.
In my horrid opinion.

Any adjective that begins with h could be used to replace it depending on context, and in many cases there is no situational difference between and honest or humble opinion. Just more text speak to cause threads like this to exist =)

IMHO, it could mean Hysterical. I've seen a few of those.

There is a guy on a TV infomercial selling his books about snakeoil ...... It is my opinion that he is not a doctor but he is a quack.
Look at your avatar -- that makes two of you! ;)

PatM, the point is there's more than one =)

So how do we get 4.2 million abbreviations from a language that has less than 1 million words?
Number of Words in the English Language

Seems like someone might be further ahead just using the whole language and not the abbreviated one. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back