Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

0.99~=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
ljcox said:
0.9999 approaches 1 as the number of decimal places approaches infinity.

0.3333 approaches 1/3 as the number of decimal places approaches infinity.

End of story.
0.33... = 1/3. You are trying to quantify infinity in your definition.

0.999...~= 1? Yes!
0.999... = 1? No.

End of story. If you do write down 1 in your calculations, it's because the difference is so small it doesn't matter (same reason why we round numbers).

Last edited:
gramo said:
... And the result is lol?

(1+1/∞)^∞

(1+0)^∞

(1)^∞

1?

The result is e (2.71828). Try setting infinity to 1 then 10, 100, 1000, 10,000 etc. The graph levels out at e.

Mike.

arod said:
0.33... = 1/3. You are trying to quantify infinity in your definition.
I did not say that 0.33... = 1/3. I said it approaches 1/3 as the number of decimal places approaches infinity.

No, I'm not trying to quantify infinity, I'm simply stating a mathmetical fact.

You can't quantify infinity, you can only approach it.

dknguyen said:
0.999...~= 1? Yes!
0.999 = 1? No.

End of story. If you do write down 1 in your calculations, it's because the difference is so small it doesn't matter (same reason why we round numbers).
If you read the original question it was "0.99 -continuious- = 1" and the answer is no. Rounding up is a different issue.

gramo said:
... And the result is lol?

(1+1/∞)^∞

(1+0)^∞

(1)^∞

1?
You can't divide by infinity or raise a number to the power of infinity.

If x = 1/n then x approaches 0 as n approaches infinity.

If x = 1^n then x =1 for all n. But n = ∞ is not valid. n can only approach ∞.

ljcox said:
I did not say that 0.33... = 1/3. I said it approaches 1/3 as the number of decimal places approaches infinity.

No, I'm not trying to quantify infinity, I'm simply stating a mathmetical fact.

You can't quantify infinity, you can only approach it.
0.33~ = 1/3 => That is mathematical fact. What could it possibly be "approaching?" Here is one of many proofs:

c = 0.999~
10c = 9.999~
10c - c = 9.9999~ - 0.999~
9c = 9
c = 1

Hard to argue with that. Whether you want to believe it or not, this is accepted by all mathematicians. If you still don't want to believe me, I will show you the convergence of the infinite geometric series when I get home later today.

The natural constant e is the amount in billions of dollars that google was valued at when it floated on the NYSE. It is also the base of natural logarithms. See wiki.

In fact they define e as,
**broken link removed**

Mike.

ljcox said:
If you read the original question it was "0.99 -continuious- = 1" and the answer is no. Rounding up is a different issue.

0.999 fixed to 0.999...

arod said:
0.33~ = 1/3 => That is mathematical fact. What could it possibly be "approaching?" Here is one of many proofs:

c = 0.999~
10c = 9.999~
9c = 9
c = 1

Hard to argue with that. Whether you want to believe it or not, this is accepted by all mathematicians. If you still don't want to believe me, I will show you the convergence of the infinite geometric series when I get home later today.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how you can subtract 2 numbers that have an infinite number of decimal places. To do a subtraction, you start at the last digit. eg. 7.89 - 3.45, you start with 9 - 5.

But with an infinite number of decimal places, there is no last digit.

I will be interested to see your convergence of an infinite geometric series.

arod said:

c = 0.999~
10c = 9.999~
9c = 9
c = 1

It is not hard to argue with because it is not mathematically correct. :D

Your first & last statement say that C = 0.999~ and also that C =1 implying that 1 = 0.999~ which is NOT true.

It is true however that Lim (n->inf) {0.999~} = 1 where n is number of repeating 9's. So your statements as they stand are NOT correct and the convergence of the geometric series is not the issue here technically. The geometric series convergence depends on the existence of its limit. You are showing no limits which is why it is wrong.

ok if 1 does not = 0.99999~ then explain to me;
why is it that
1/3 = 0.333~
2/3 = 0.666~
3/3 = 0.999~

3/3= 1
so
1= 0.999~

Prove this to be wrong

rumiam said:
ok if 1 does not = 0.99999~ then explain to me;
why is it that
1/3 = 0.333~
2/3 = 0.666~
3/3 = 0.999~

3/3= 1
so
1= 0.999~

Prove this to be wrong
Your error is in adding the decimal values for 1/3 and 2/3

These have an infinite number of decimal places and so I don't see how you can add them.

Pommie said:
The natural constant e is the amount in billions of dollars that google was valued at when it floated on the NYSE. It is also the base of natural logarithms. See wiki.

In fact they define e as,
**broken link removed**

Mike.
I was intrigued by this so I did the maths to prove it. See attachment. What I forgot to write is that the first 3 terms in the last line are the first in the infinite series for e. The terms after 1/n go to 0 as n approaches infinity.

Attachments

• Binomial.png
    Binomial.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
I think the answer to this issue is in whether the attached series converges to 1 or to 0.9999~.

It is many years since I studied maths that I don't recall how to do the test for convergence of this series and don't have the time to revise it.

So if any knows how to do it, please enlighten us.

Attachments

• Series.png
    Series.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 356
I don't believe this post is still going.

Optikon said:
It is not hard to argue with because it is not mathematically correct. :D

Your first & last statement say that C = 0.999~ and also that C =1 implying that 1 = 0.999~ which is NOT true.
Yes, isnt that the point of the proof? Showing that .999~ = 1...
I don't think you understand. When I type 0.999~, it means that the 9s repeat to infinity.

Instead of me reinvinting the wheel, here is a page showing the convergence of an infinite geometric series proving that 0.999~ = 1

How about an alternate proof?

Code:
   -----------
9 ) 9.0000....
    8 1
    ---
      --
       --
        --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads