Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

0.99~=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a question, or are you just trying to be an obscure PITA?

Your mum..

If you are trying to suggest that 0.999' recurring is equal to the number '1', then you are not in same universe as the rest of us!

Dont forget infinity.

there is no number 1 in this world... it is almost 1, but not 1... x->1 (i don't know the correct english term for it, sorry).it's 0.999..9
same for 2, 3 and all other numbers.

Don't understand the original post... but this does bring me to a question i have had for a long time;

What is 1-.99(repeating) (one minus zero point nine repeating)???

In theory it would be .[infinite number of zeros] with a one at the end, but that is really not a "usable" answer.

What would it be?

Do the math to prove that 0.99 -repeating- does not equal 1
I want you to take it out to the very last decimal point to prove that it couldnt possibly be 1

Perhaps it's an obscure reference to quantization error? I mean mathematically it's obviously false, probably some even more obscure joke going around in math circles, kind of like a 'left handed smoke shifter' or '50 feet of shore line' was in the boyscouts. In any measuring system in the real world though after a certain number of decimal places the ambient noise inherant in the measurment and quantum uncertanty can make what should be .99~ appear the same as 1?

0.999... is mathematically equivalent to 1.

1/3 = 0.33...
2/3 = 0.66...
3/3 = 0.99...

Poor man's proof

Or you could use limits to prove this.

0.9999 approaches 1 as the number of decimal places approaches infinity.

0.3333 approaches 1/3 as the number of decimal places approaches infinity.

End of story.

I remember a lecturer asking, if 1 over infinity equals zero and 1 to the power of infinity equals 1 then what is 1 plus 1 over infinity all to the power of infinity. (1+1/∞)^∞

I was surprised at the result.

Mike.

If X is infinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back