Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring Harness

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a special pin extraction tool you need to take the pin out of the modelx plug then a certain cripper of the same size as your pins then crip put a little solder on top and your done. I found a lot of pin extraction tools and crimpers on jensen.com try it.

The quick answer is that you dont solder wires into that housing.

The idea is that you crimp the connector pins onto the wire, then push the pin into the housing.
The pin then latches into the housing.

You can of course solder the pins onto the wires, but they were designed to be crimped.

JimB

As it's a one off job I would forget the special extraction tool.

With a little care molex crimps can be extracted and prised open,
then solder the replacement wire into place rather than attempt
to re-crimp the weakened metal.
In connectors where the locking tang/barb is visible extraction is
simple , requiring little more than a stiff piece of wire like a paper clip.
As for the larger version found in most computers and many RC models
these are more fiddly as the locking tang is hidden inside. If time is not a factor then rolling your own extraction tool is one method, using a drill bit or something very close to the diameter of the pin as a former. Have also been meaning to try using "polymorph" plastic to build a more durable tool for this application because my local model shop does not stock 0.093" copper tube but I reckon it can be found :wink:

Here's a good link showing the anatomy of a molex pin
**broken link removed**
Section 7 deals with extraction and whole heartedly recomends going in with a small screwdriver on the exposed tang IDC type connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back