Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What ICs are useful to have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc88

Most of the functionality of the 7400 TTL and 4000 CMOS series chips can be replaced with a microcontroller these days. Still, I've found that it's useful to have some of the discrete logic chips lying around for experimentation or quick prototyping. What chips have you found useful, and for what kinds of purposes? What assortment of chips would you recommend the electronics hobbyist to have in their inventory?

Most of the functionality of the 7400 TTL and 4000 CMOS series chips can be replaced with a microcontroller these days. Still, I've found that it's useful to have some of the discrete logic chips lying around for experimentation or quick prototyping. What chips have you found useful, and for what kinds of purposes? What assortment of chips would you recommend the electronics hobbyist to have in their inventory?

It is an endless list and sure to puncture a whole in your pocket, if you want to purchase. Instead you can perhaps simulate and try using suitable software.

Most recent trend appears to use FPGAs and program them to get your logic realization.

yes you can keep few nand gate chips as most circuits can be realised from them. Now a days better go for 74HC4011 in favor of nand gates. You may also store few voltage regulator chips like 78xx and 79xx. the later are -ve voltage regulators.

Last edited:
One source for cheap usefull microchips that i found is to buy up old test equipment from trift shops, i got some really old cable test equipment and all the ic were mounted in sockets and not directly soldered, and when i was finshed pulling it all apart i had a collection of 74 series chips, i pulled over 100 ICs and it didnt cost me a thing. i pull apart everything before tossing it, you never know what your gonna find. googleing the chips your not sure of is also a big help

josh

Op-amps like the TL08x.
A quad NAND and hex Schmitt trigger are always handy.

Also, even the simplest PICs are still more expensive than the simplist ICs - if all you need is to make an LED flash, a not too accurate 10 or so second delay or a short beep then a 555 is still the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

not having a source of pics i find it ussefull to have these at stock

4093 40106 4013 4066 4060 4017
LM 358 324 3914 317 327
and the 78xx and the 79xx

Robert-Jan

Last edited:
I concur with 78XX, 79XX, 555/556, op-amps such as LM358, a few amplifier ICs like the LM386, and your basic assortment of digital chips. Some suppliers sell kits of ICs, which might be a good option if you don't have many ICs.

If you're in need of a function generator, the XR2206 chip from EXAR is worth considering. It costs about $3-4 USD. With a small handful of component parts and this chip, you can build a nice function generator for $5-$10.

I find 16 pin DIP resistor networks to be useful for keeping a project neat and uncluttered. These are especially good for pull-up/pull-down resistors when working with Micro Controllers.

What are some of the projects that you're interested in?

Im sure alot of people are aware of this but i figure its worth posting for those unaware,
Microchip - Samples Web Site

its the best source of samples i have found, they cover shipping and you can get 2 orders a month,
its great to get a few pics or other ic for a single project or testing purposes.

josh

I used tho think it was handy to have an assortment of logic IC's but these days, I only keep "glue" logic parts on hand and never design with discrete logic function IC's.. SOmetimes, the perfect logic part is just what's called for.. but I find these cases so rare, they are not worth considering. All logic design is done in a PIC, FPGA, CPLD or micro.

Sometimes you need some glue though for level translation or simple functions like AND/OR/INVERT

Building on what I said earlier.

When you first start the chances of having everything you need on hand for a project is close to zero. Each time you start a project you will need to make a order, get a few extra of the parts that you think you will use again. In time you will build up stock, and you will be able to do some projects without ordering parts.

Common parts like resistors and caps are the execption. I suggest buying a resistor set that makes sense for what you will be dong.

I agree with everything 3v0 said.

Additionally, whenever I buy something I know I'll use again, like bypass capacitors, I just buy a metric ton of them. 0.1uF ceramic caps are something you will use a lot of, so buy in bulk - wherever the price break and quantity make sense for you. Sometimes 25, sometimes 100.

I have significant quantities of .1uF ceramics in various form factors, 1N4002s, 1N4148s, 1N5819s (to a lesser extent), ~25ea or R,G, and B LEDs, a ton of 330uF 6.3V electrolytics for 5V decoupling caps, a lot of free sample op amps and voltage regulators, a few select values of resistors (100R for current limiting to mosfet gates, 121 ohm specifically for adj regs, 332 ohm for LED's off a 5V supply, 1K and 10K, etc). No more than 100 of anything at the most though. I'm still just a hobbyist (though hopefully not for long).

CPLD's are so cheap these days, and with in circuit programming, it is well worth the time to learn how to use them. All your logic needs in one package.

They can be used to protect input pins against voltages outside the power supply.

Also, a load of lower droput regulators are handy for powering 5V appliances from 9V batteries.

Here's what I've discovered as being useful for experimentation and prototyping:

555 - this chip is never going to die. It's very convenient to be able to change the time constant by swapping a cap or resistor.

Schmitt trigger inverters and NAND gates - useful for oscillators, gated oscillators and buffering.

"linear" inverters and NAND gates - useful for driving crystal oscillators

4017 - very useful for dividing a clock signal down by a small number or generating a short sequence.

counters (like the 4020) - useful for dividing a clock signal down by a larger number.

shift registers - useful for microcontroller I/O expansion. I generally turn to a '595 if I need to expand a microcontroller's output capability.

4066 - analog switches - can't do that with a microcontroller :)

4046 - V-F converter, PLL frequency multiplier

multi-unit buffer/line drivers (74HC125, 74HC240, et. al) - useful for a quick-n-dirty multi-line logic probe and general buffering. Also popular in BEAM robots.

Some things I haven't found generally useful: discrete flip-flops, OR and AND gates, BCD decoder/drivers, addressable latches, decoders/demultiplexers. When an application gets complex enough to need these components, it's usually more efficient to start using a microcontroller.

I was sure I posted this earlier today but I do not see it.

The TO-92 LM2931AZ5 is a 5V 100ma LDO regulator built for use in cars. It is dirt cheap at 19 cent in 10 quanity at mouser 512-LM2931AZ5.

datasheet said:
Description
LM2931A is a fixed 3-terminal low dropout voltage
regulator designed to need very low quiescent current.
Internally, implemented circuits include 60V load dump
protection, -50V reverse transient short circuit and thermal
over load protection.

Here's what I've discovered as being useful for experimentation and prototyping:

555 - this chip is never going to die. It's very convenient to be able to change the time constant by swapping a cap or resistor.

Schmitt trigger inverters and NAND gates - useful for oscillators, gated oscillators and buffering.

"linear" inverters and NAND gates - useful for driving crystal oscillators

4017 - very useful for dividing a clock signal down by a small number or generating a short sequence.

counters (like the 4020) - useful for dividing a clock signal down by a larger number.

shift registers - useful for microcontroller I/O expansion. I generally turn to a '595 if I need to expand a microcontroller's output capability.

4066 - analog switches - can't do that with a microcontroller :)

4046 - V-F converter, PLL frequency multiplier

multi-unit buffer/line drivers (74HC125, 74HC240, et. al) - useful for a quick-n-dirty multi-line logic probe and general buffering. Also popular in BEAM robots.

Some things I haven't found generally useful: discrete flip-flops, OR and AND gates, BCD decoder/drivers, addressable latches, decoders/demultiplexers. When an application gets complex enough to need these components, it's usually more efficient to start using a microcontroller.

As days pass by you would also join the band wagan of hobbyists stocking LOT of chips which they felt essential but later never had that much time-- thus the hobby room more becomes a store dump. So, Please ensure you learn the maximum withina resonably short span and before the diversion of mind takes place new hobbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back