Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using KiCad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why you would say that Gayan, I use plenty of opensource software. It's not that difficult to learn compared to the commercial software it replaces (for the more common stuff at least) and it saves you boatloads of money, espeically in the case of office software and electronics stuff.

3v0, why have you made this statement from what I stated? I said a spice netlist is useless without the models, which no one would disagree with. You can't simulate anything if you don't have models for the netlist... A Spice netlist can be valid and have no reference to any real world device at the same time.

To call spice useless is just painting the world with too large a brush. Even if you restrict the useless comment to the netlist output from KiCad this holds.

When you reach a given level of integration models are hard to find but we expect them to work as expected. But there is still enough work at lower levels where models exist to call it useful.

One does not always have to have the higher lever packages to simulate the stuff at the opamp and transistor level. I just work with the parts that I need to too. Given that there are people who know a lot more about analog then me I would rather leave it to them. :)

3v0. I think you need to re-read all the posts I've made in this thread so far.
I did not at ANY point intimate or state that spice was useless. I said twice now, that a spice netlist is useless if you don't have the models, and it is. There are many different levels of basic spice compliance, as you said only basic models are supported.

This is the second post you've made in this thread that says something that I neither stated nor intended to imply in any way. I am not painting too large a brush, with any device other than the very most basic the spicelist generated would deviate so much from the real world as to be useless, even with opamps and transistors. With KiCad anything not in it's library would generate a very acurate spice list, that would have no simulation model to work from, with opamps they only represent generic models IF the values that the circuit requires are much lower than the real world values, IE close to an ideal opamp for the purpose of the circuit.

Many IC manufacturers offer free spice models. IC vendors realize the importance of simulation so it is in their best interest to provide simulation models.

List obtained from:
SPICE Simulation Models - Developer Zone - National Instruments
**broken link removed**
The best place to look for SPICE models is to browse the vendor or manufacturer’s website. Listed below are some of the most popular chip vendors that supply SPICE models on their website.
Vendor
Description
Analog Devices
Amplifiers and Comparators, Analog to Digital Converters, Digital to Analog Converters, Embedded Processing & DSP, MEMS and Sensors, RF/IF Components, Switches/Multiplexers, Analog Microcontrollers, Interface, Power and Thermal Management
Analog and RF Models
Analog and RF Models
Apex Microtechnology
Linear Amplifiers, PWM Amplifiers
Christophe Basso
Switch-mode power supplies
Coilcraft, Inc.
Power Magnetics, RF Inductors, EMI / RFI Filters, Broadband Magnetics
Directed Energy
Diodes, Switch-mode MOSFETs, HF / VHF Linear MOSFETs, MOSFET Driver ICs
Duncan Amps
Amplifiers, Vacuum tubes
Fairchild Semiconductors
Amplifiers & Comparators, Diodes & Rectifiers, Interfaces, Digital Logic Devices, Signal Conversion, Voltage to Frequency Converters, Microcontroller, Optoelectronics, Switches, Power Controllers, Power Drivers, Transistors, Filters, Voltage Regulators
Infineon Technologies AG
Fiber Optics, Microcontrollers, Power Semiconductors, Small Signal Discretes
International Rectifier
HEXFET Power MOSFETs, Diodes, Bridges, Thyristors, Relays, High Voltage ICs, Intelligent Power Modules, Intelligent Power Switch, HiRel Power MOSFETs, HiRel High Voltage Gate Drivers
Kemet Home Page
Surface-mount capacitors in aluminum, ceramic and tantalum and leaded capacitors in ceramic and tantalum
Linear Technology
Signal Conditioning, Data Conversion, Power Management, Interfacing, High Freuqency & Optical
Maxim
Amplifiers and Comparators, Analog Switches and Multiplexers, Clocks, Counters, Delay Lines, Oscillators, RTCs, Data Converters, Sample-and-Holds, Digital Potentiometers, Fiber and Communications, Filters (Analog), High-Frequency ASICs, Hot-Swap and Power Switching, Interface and Interconnect, Memories: Volatile, NV, Multi-Function, Thermal Management, Sensors, Sensor Conditioners, Voltage References, Wireless, RF, and Cable
National Semiconductor
Amplifiers,Power Management, Temp Sensors, Interface, LVDS, Ethernet, USB Technologies, Micro SMD
ON Semiconductor
Power Management, Amplifiers, Comparators, Analog Switches, Thyristors, Diodes, Rectifiers, Bipolar Transistors, FETs, Standard Logic, Differential Logic,
Philips
Analog/Linear, Audio, Automotive, Connectivity, Data/Media/Video processing, Discretes, Displays, Interface and control, Logic, Microcontrollers, Power and power management, RF, Sensors
Polyfet
Polyfet transistors
Protek
Transient Voltage Suppression
SMPS Power Supplies
Switch-mode power supply simulation
SMPS Technology
Switch-mode power supply design
Supertex
Mixed signal semiconductor, High-voltage interface products
STMicroelectronics
Amplifiers & Linear,Analog & Mixed Signal ICs, Diodes, EMI Filtering & Conditioning, Logic, Signal Switch, Memories, Microcontrollers, Power Management, Protection Devices, Sensors, Smartcard ICs, Thyristors & AC Switches, Transistors
Texas Instruments
Buffers, Drivers and Transceivers, Flip-Flops, Latches and Registers, Gates, Counters, Decoders/Encoders/Multiplexers, Digital Comparators
Tyco Electronics (formerly Amp)
Electromechanical components, passive components, power sources, RF & Microwave products
Vishay
Manufacturer of analog switches, capacitors, diodes, inductors, integrated modules, power ICs, LEDs, power MOSFETs, resistors and thermistors.
Zetex
DC-DC boost controllers, Voltage references, Current monitors, Motor control, Acoustar™ audio solutions, Linear regulators

Mike, are these in a sticky, if not they should be.

Sceadwian

My original response to this was in the form of a question.

So that would mean Spice is useless too ? I think there are people who would not agree.
A line or two of clarification from you would have put an end to it.

As long as we are here...

Other CAD packages generate SPICE netlists. If this is a good thing to do why did you say anything?

I am far from a SPICE power user but the few times I needed to use SPICE for transistor level stuff I which I could have exported the netlist. I expect it would have been better then having to redraw the schematic in spice.

Last edited:
Boy you guys?

I just wanted to start a simple thread for new users of KiCad and off you go. And you wounder why the electronics hobby is dieing.
gogo

Boy you guys?

I just wanted to start a simple thread for new users of KiCad and off you go. And you wounder why the electronics hobby is dieing.
gogo

I thought it was the opposite.
This forum and electronics forums in general 5 years ago were pretty much dead.

As far as discussions go I would say this is pretty tame for the internet in general. It's a technical forum; You are going to get a lot of back and forth on issues and you also have to expect when posting on a free public forum that discussion might not go the direction that you wanted. Especially in a sub forum called '**** Chat'.

Ya My Bad

So ok I could use some advice, if I were to start this thread over in a different name how would you do it and were would you launch it?
gogo

Well, it's a technical related question so I probably would have put it in General Electronics section, but that certainly wouldn't make it immune to this discussion which is related directly to the main topic, using KiCad. I'm not certain what more you wanted. Obviously there's nobody here with very much experience with it. If all you wanted was someone who had experience who could help you out with it, then the answer is no, nobody here has enough experience here with it.

The thread has generated a discussion around KiCad and it's pro's and con's in general, which seems like a good thing and benefits everybody here.

Not sure why you would say that Gayan, I use plenty of opensource software. It's not that difficult to learn compared to the commercial software it replaces (for the more common stuff at least) and it saves you boatloads of money, espeically in the case of office software and electronics stuff.

I don't know whether he was talking about open source in general or just free trials or shareware.

I think that lots of free proprietary software is crap and most of the time open source is better.

Boy you guys?

gogo

Sorry about that. I doubt starting a new thread would do any good. It seem that no one here is using it. I wold like to see more developers on the project. With only the original author I have doubts about what happens when he looses interest. I hope I am wrong about this and others are working on the code too.

That s ok

To tell ya the truth, I have been working on KiCad, trying to learn how to use and all I can do is give a review.

It SUCKS. It is a big FXXKing waste of time. If you got a year to waste and go through all the jibber jabber you find on the net and can figure it out how to find some use for it more power to ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back