Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using KiCad

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogo2520

Hello
I down loaded a free program a few days ago called KiCad. It looks interesting but it dose have a steep learning curve. The program looks like a free version of Eagle without some of the bells and whistles and more of the bells and whistles. I don't know yet if its good or not. What is lacking like all basic GPL software is good documentation. I tried a few of the tutorials and it seemed like a few of the steps of the process were missing or I missed it.

Dose any one on this site use it? I would appreciate some help
Thanks in advance
gogo

Last edited:
How can it be a free version of Eagle? The basic version of Eagle is free. You should look for a forum specifically for KiCad, unless any other users here chime in about it, I think it's the first time I've heard of it.

I haven't tried it but I didn't get on with Eagal so I don't think I'll like it.

EDIT
Eagle is not free, apart from being closed source there are some other restrictions places on the "free" version.

Last edited:
Hero, free means at no cost.
Closed source has nothing whatsoever to do with free.
And I did specifically state that the basic version of Eagle was free.

How can it be a free version of Eagle? The basic version of Eagle is free. You should look for a forum specifically for KiCad, unless any other users here chime in about it, I think it's the first time I've heard of it.

wow are all your 9,784 post like this one? Thanks for the nit picking

gogo, I'm not picking nits, Eagle is not a pay only piece of software there is a free version which you didn't indicate you knew about in your post.
Being that I have so many posts and I do frequent this forum a lot and that is the first time I've heard of this piece of software mentioned in the forum, would be a good indication that this is not the ideal forum to ask the question in I'm again I'm trying to help not pick nits.

Last edited:
More posts isn't always better, it's the signal to noise ratio that's important. :D

I assumed he already knew about the free version of Eagle.

Often when people compare open source software to proprietary software, they say free verses non-free software, even if the non-free software can be obtained free of charge. In this case they're taking about the freedom to modify the software, see how it works and re-distribute it, not just the price. For example the Fedora Linux distribution has both free and non-free package repositories which can be both used free of charge, the free packages are just compatible with the GPL and the non-free ones aren't.

If he were comparing LTSpice to some payware such as Altium Designer then I probably wouldn't have said anything because it would be obvious.

Just about every piece of payware has a free version these days and in nearly all cases it's restricted in some way i.e. you can use if for up to 30 days, it can only simulate circuits with up to 30 components, the maximum board size is 150mm squared, you can't print the design, etc. In this case I'd be very wary of calling it freeware, unless the restrictions aren't too prohibitive, I prefer the term demo or free trial. And don't forget that even if you downloaded it for free, the licence might stop you from copying it; software developers like doing this because it means they are still in control of distributing there software. I've heard of all too many people getting in trouble for piracy by hosting so-called freeware on their sites.

Thanks for the definitions, I was just comparing the interface between Eagle and KiCad. But after working with KiCad they are know way alike. KiCad is totally free and unlimited but has a steep learning curve. I know Eagle has a Free version but it is limited but it is very easy to learn. You can buy Eagle with more features if you need them. All this I knew.
What I was in hope of was to find other users of KiCad so maybe I could find some help. There are some forms out there that do offer help but like most all free software under a GPL The information is incomplete. or refer to a previous version, sort of like Linux's man pages. very confusing. Granted it is free so one shouldn't complain but still if I could find someone to help me get ahead of the months of studying the software just to figure out how it works that would be great.
So back to my original question dose anyone on this thread use KiCad?
I found a manual in the KiCad program folder under doc/Help its about 200 pages long in word format
any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
gogo

Last edited:
From what I've learned Eagle actually has a steep learning curve. The limitations of the free version of eagle is 4x3.2 inch board space limitation. two signal layers and a single schematic. All other functional methods in Eagle are based on that.

I've already stated, from my massive experiance (sarcasim) and Heros has as well from his, that no one here actually uses KiCad.

You haven't even stated your intentions for use of the software in the first place, and you want constructive comments? Both Eagle and KiCad are multipurpose pieces of software.

Hello
Sounds like we both have a lot of spare time on our hands. First off I use Eagle all the time, its a good program and easy to learn, plus there is a lot of support. But the free version is limited. Not to complain Free is good.
KiCad is Free with no limits, I have been studying it for about two weeks now and have some questions about some off the basic commands, like different ways to correct errors (on my part ), better ways to use some of the tools that come with it and so on.
If I could find others who use the program and they could show some of the tricks they use That would be great.
That is all I am looking for.
gogo

I have to say WOW what a thread.

KiCad has been in development for a while. I have been checking now and again to see if it is ready for prime time. It looks like it may be time to try it again.

I would expect that for some of us that use Eagle switching to KiCad will be more difficult. We expect it to work like Eagle. I do not expect it to be significantly more or less complex. Just different. Better is another and quite subjective question.

The docs say the schematic editor will create netlists for Spice. That is a + over Eagle.

Hello 3v0
ya according to the doc's KiCad has a lot of interesting things it can do, That is why I started this thread. I want to see if there are other users out there who have some experience using it.
Still looking, and your welcome to join me
gogo

Hello 3v0
ya according to the doc's KiCad has a lot of interesting things it can do, That is why I started this thread. I want to see if there are other users out there who have some experience using it.
gogo

hi agogo

Have you seen this link.?
**broken link removed**

A netlist for spice is completely useless without models, for most modern ICs there are none.

Hello 3v0
gogo

I downloaded KiCad and gave it a go. It is as expected painful to be a newbie again.

3v0 said:
So that would mean Spice is useless too ? I think there are people who would not agree.
3v0, why have you made this statement from what I stated? I said a spice netlist is useless without the models, which no one would disagree with. You can't simulate anything if you don't have models for the netlist... A Spice netlist can be valid and have no reference to any real world device at the same time.

I don't use cad software gogo... If I have to build something I build it, using basic common sense methods such as measure twice cut once =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back