Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which browser are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatamall

I use Firefox as compared to I.E because it is a very good built in popup blocker that blocks all those annoying popups when you open up a web page.

So, Which browser are you using..................

Firefox. Interestingly though, the pop-up blocker is ineffective with Facebooks "words with friends" game (unless you pay facebook $).

I should note that I am not on Facebook, nor will I ever be (hacked one of my wife's accounts) but the game is so overused it brought my DSL to pre '85 speeds, so I quit. Entertaining game but not worth it.

hi D, This has been dealt with, thanks.

Moderation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealt with by obliterating my post? I've seen this particular spambot infest and wreck forums all over the web. In the other post it admitted it was connected to the online store of the same name. Here's people trying to help each other with electronics, in other forums fixing cars, helping with software issues, etc. - and this self-serving spambot jumps in and starts peddling shoes with a half-page about all the great new deals and twenty links and crap. Then another post. And another and another and ANOTHER. Different names each time, but all links to "tatamall". Now it's trying to find out what kind of browser we are using, and there's CowboyBob up there being tricked into telling it about a security flaw in Firefox. DO NOT HELP THIS THING.

Last edited:
Not your fault, I'd be telling it things too if I didn't know. Actually had a friend call me up one time all excited with some new "method of advertizing" for a product I was designing for him. Turned out to be a company in India that has a zillion people sitting around spamming forums all day. I suggested he spend the money on legit ads instead. He preferred the scam. I dropped his project.

So how will we know a legitimate forum topic about browsers?

Or would it be best to avoid commenting an ANY thread of that nature?

Last edited:
I don't know, I'm probably overreacting because of my dealings with this. As soon as I see that name, I know a spam-storm is headed this way. With a whole bunch of people sitting around just patiently logging in day-in, day-out, re-upping with new names after the banhammer falls, they can easily overwhelm the mods. Suddenly every item is full of trash and the whole forum looks like one big ad for rhinestone pocketbooks and fake sneakers.

Last edited:
When I first started I used Internet Explorer, but I really hated it. It was extremely slow, crowded, and hard to navigate. I upgraded to Chrome and loved it, but my other computer couldn't handle Chrome (too old, I guess). I installed FF on that, and once I got the feel of it I realized I really didn't care for it very much. Chrome is still #1 in my opinion, and I'm not likely to switch :D

What didn't you like about it?

I've used FF for so long (infrequently reverting to IE for one reason or another) that I've either forgotten about, or automatically avoid whatever I didn't like about FF over the years.

Nothing to the question, really. You just may have some experience/insight I may need.

(BTW, went to school in Craftsbury Common for 4 years ['61 to '65]. Man, the winter's were brutal).

What didn't you like about it?

Well there were a few things, really. I suppose FF is great if you've never tried chrome before, but once you try chrome you might see what I mean. Compared to Chrome, FF is slow and overall is just plain bland. There isn't anything really special about FF, but if you're used to simple, slow browsers I can see how you would like it. It is still a hundred times better than IE, but It is topped (though I guess only by a little bit) by Chrome.

Last edited:
I also like the way Chrome lets you customize how your browser looks. The Themes and other options are very useful and help make it look a lot better, as well as more functional. I guess what I really like about chrome is that it is very customize-able by the user. It is easy to personalize and overall fun to use ;)

cowboy, I was an old dog too, tied to Firefox, till I tried Chrome.. The rendering speeds blow Firefox out of the water (though current Firefox has caught up)
Personally, having choices in the first place is the best part of it all because it means there's competition, so companies will actually attempt to improve their products rather than bloating them out.

I use Firefox most of the time, sometimes Opera. Tried Chrome and didn't really care for it, found it too simplistic - not enough traditional menus and buttons. IE I didn't used to mind, saw it as a necessary evil. Don't like the new IE for the same reasons as chrome.

Currently using Firefox 13.0

well browsers have changed a lot since netscape appeared. i was using IE occasionally but never was big fan so it was firefox most of the time. here and there tried others like Opera. not long ago i switched to Chrome. switch was cumbersome since it was and still is very basic and kind of clunky, but it was fast at least. then started disliking it for poor page rendering, memory use, frequent plugin crashes etc. so I went back to firefox and find it nice.

Derstrom, that is why I use Chrome =) Panic mode's issues with Chrome's interface doesn't reflect on the browser performance itself just a users inability to adapt to something different, and Chrome doesn't take that long to get used to. When I first tried Chrome I think Firefox was still in the 10's or so and Chrome's rendering speed for web pages was so fast it actually stunned me. Firefox immediately rebuilt it's enter page rendering front end, but they're just chasing tails.

In the end I think having multiple browsers is the best thing, it's the only way innovation can occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back