Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using a circuit board from a project box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Blade

I picked up this small project case at The Source, but the small circuit board that comes with the case has all individual copper dots for each hole...so just wondering how your supposed to use something like that. A stripboard I can see but this...there don't seem to be a way to connect all the parts together.

You solder the leads to the copper dots to hold the components on the board. Wiring is done to the leads.

So a board like that would not be any good when using an IC then right..you could solder in the IC, but wouldn't want to be reheating the leads of it to attach a wire...board like that seems to be more bother than its worth...just get a better laid out board...one with strips or something...have to see if can get a better board and then make it fit the case.

Edit: Found a tutorial on using perfboard...lol, so maybe I won't toss it yet :)

Last edited:
Black Blade said:
So a board like that would not be any good when using an IC then right..you could solder in the IC, but wouldn't want to be reheating the leads of it to attach a wire...
Soldering to the lead on the side opposite the IC should be no problem. Just don't use a 50W iron. Use a small iron with a pointed tip.

crutschow said:
Soldering to the lead on the side opposite the IC should be no problem. Just don't use a 50W iron. Use a small iron with a pointed tip.

Agreed. For even more safety (and convenience) you can use an IC socket. I've used this kind of board a quite a few times with no problems (except lifting the pads after reworking too much, but that's a different problem). Now I mostly either do point-to-point wiring or make a PCB though.

Just don't use an IC socket if the thing has to last for years in a high-vibration environment.

Torben

Perfboard is awesome if you are any good at soldering. I use it for EVERYTHING. Not a single project has not been perfboard, lol my binary clock (phew)

I just picked up number of 'surf boards'
https://www.elexp.com/pro_sbrd.htm

The have pins that will plug into a breadboard so the surfboard is mounted vertical.

I'm using them to build a number of "standard" circuits such as OP-amps, filters, timers etc; that way it cuts down on time to build some circuits(and bread-board space too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back