Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ariens circuit board relay fried.

mcostello

I have an Ariens garden tractor that a relay has died. I do not know anything about relays and I have only built 1 circuit board a couple of years ago, using instructions supplied. The tractor has only 1 safety interlock on the hydraulic gearshift. I have checked incoming voltage and all is good so is the ground. I can either try to find and replace the relay or tear it all out and replace with a couple of common relays. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. The relay on the right is the bad one. Ariens.jpg

I'd desolder the relays from the board and replace the relays if the board is over $40.

Also, most tractors have an interlock wired into the seat. One repairman I met claims, always check the seat first. The PCB in the seat gets deformed from the weight of the user and contact is poor or intermittent or just lost. Then look if the interlock nut is loose on the gearshift or brake.

I am concerned about soldering in a new relay. The pins are bent over about 1/8" and soldered. That makes it take that much more heat.
Get a flush-cutting wire cutters and clip the pins. Then cut the cap off of the relay and disassemble what you can see on the top of the board. That way, you can heat and pull out each pin individually - much easier than trying to free all at the same time for a novice.

Get some solder wick to draw the solder out from each through-hole/pin location. If you have 60/40 solder, ADD some to each pin before you start in case your board uses lead-free solder which makes disassembly mush harder. Adding some lead makes everything easier.

Seat switch has been gone before I got it, never need it as I turn things off when dismounting, feet too close to mower deck. Board available from 1 source, $400. Not factory made for long years.

Seat switch has been gone before I got it, never need it as I turn things off when dismounting, feet too close to mower deck. Board available from 1 source, $400. Not factory made for long years.
Send a detailed photo of top and bottom - I'm sure someone can help you. I assume you are in USA/Canada.

Send a detailed photo of the top of the relay. Use bright lights to increase sharpness when taking the photos. A photo of bottom of board will be helpful too.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back