Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Simple Power Supply Project

For The Popcorn

Most Helpful Member
I've posted a number of times about the somewhat amazing XBox power supplies. These bricks can often be found at thrift stores for less than 10 bucks, and supply 5 volts at 1 amp and 12 volts at up to 16 amps depending on the version. The 5 volt supply is always on, and the 12 volt supply is switched on by connecting a line to +5v.

I had decided to make a panel to attach to the shelf over my bench. Sometimes I need a high-current 12 volt supply, more than my lab supply can provide. I cut an acrylic panel with a switch and two pairs of binding posts, but then I decided on a further improvement - adding one of the DC-DC converter modules which I have also talked about here before. A 5v/12v/adjustable output with voltage and current displayed, compact and out-of-the-way, always close at hand. A project for my next trip to the makerspace.

xbox power panel.jpg

new-official-xbox-360-power-supply-cord-15.jpg

I've done similar for 350W & 500W PC PSU's and converted universal 85W, 19.5V laptop chargers to be adjustable 3~24V as they have remote sensing with 3 wires to the barrel plug for lossy flex cables and regulated output.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back