Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small Plugboards (sometimes called 'breadboards')

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hello,

Here are some small plugboards, the kind you normally use with little jumpers and maybe one or two IC chips and some other small parts. The parts are plugged into the board rather than soldered.

We got these at a really good price, like $9 USD for 10 of them. I got 5, a friend got 5.

Question is, do you guys use these too for anything? I find they work ok for digital stuff like microcontrollers, but for precise analog stuff they get a little questionable. Also they have extra capacitance so they might alter the operating frequency of some circuits, more or less.
They are still quite usable for some things however.
These are all white in color but they also come in various colors these days :)

Attachments

• PlugBoards_Small-1.jpg
    PlugBoards_Small-1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 137
These things are used a lot in colleges and are OK for low speed/low frequency applications.
If you are interested in them there is a website dedicated to using them, complete with well thought-out software at www.fritzing.org . E

Hi Ya MrAl,

Most of what I worked with was low frequency stuff and in my lab I had several larger versions of those boards. Every time we had the technicians build a prototype they were done on those boards and as far as I know since my retirement they still are. Most were mounted in large sections on a plate that also had fused +5, +15 and -15 volt power supplies. When the boards wore out they were replaced on the plates. Those little boards were a real good deal Mr. Al. The bottoms could likely be fitted with that double stick sided foam automotive tape so several could be laid out on a metal plate (ours had screws). I used them as a regular part of development.

Ron

Hi again,

canadaelk:
That site looks interesting as they make PC boards too for people who submit projects.
Not that cheap though unfortunately.

NorthGuy:
Really that's all? That's not much really considering that's about the estimate for two IC pins on a PC board.
So instead of 6pf we'd have a total of about 12pf.

Ron:
Oh yes, these have the adhesive back too, but i never use that anyway. I always hot glue mine down to something else :)
What was interesting about these boards is that they are so small they fit almost anywhere, and for one or two IC circuits should work out good for regular stuff/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back