Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are the so called “universal socket” safe and legal?

Athosworld

If you dont know what im talking about, im referring to these kind of plugs:
339154AA-CADA-4A05-9029-514723B1EF35.jpeg

These extensions popped up recently on a chinese import store downtown in my city and I’ve seen many people use them, for example, there is one that has a big commercial fridge plugged into it on a stationery store. But are these legal? They probably dont meet the durability and construction standards becase some plug shapes fit loosely in it and you can plug 220v devices in 120v and viceversa. The same store is also selling 220v only appliances with europlugs (im in a 120v country). In some countries, including mine, people install these sockets on the wall (example below)
7036E2A3-9680-4843-A26B-A149D3302701.png

One big problem though is the absence of ground/earth wich people dont even care about since the system itself has no earth ground.

I would guess they'd be ok for TVs and associated equipment that doesn't use much power but I wouldn't use one on something like a kettle.

Never seen those here in Australia.

Mike.

Absolutely illegal in the UK as they have no shutters to prevent kids or toddlers poking things in to the contacts.

I'd not use them regardless, due to the poor construction and possible hazards.

They don't make a connection to the earth on the Schuko or French plugs, so just leave them alone and do not fit.

In many countries it's legal to fit wall sockets from a different country, as long as they are fitted with the correct overcurrent protection and earthing. However those universal sockets don't meet the standards whatever.

It is similar to the travel adaptors, or the extension leads that you have shown. The universal ones are invariably terrible, and because they are not meeting some standards, they often don't meet other standards. Here is an example:-

There a good adaptors that will be safe. Most connectors only work on one standard, or very similar standards. An example of working with more than one standard is the plugs that will fit both the Schuko and the French sockets, which have different earths but the plugs can be made that connect to either earth correctly.

It is not only the chinese making garbage; Seen worse wimpy outlets and plugs made in south America, India, Africa, using copper-bathed sheet metal recycling sardine cans that corrode fast. And is not a recent thing, goes back 40 years.
There is not much fires from their poor performance because those countries do not use wood sticks to build dwellings.

If you dont know what im talking about, im referring to these kind of plugs:
View attachment 142773
These extensions popped up recently on a chinese import store downtown in my city and I’ve seen many people use them, for example, there is one that has a big commercial fridge plugged into it on a stationery store. But are these legal? They probably dont meet the durability and construction standards becase some plug shapes fit loosely in it and you can plug 220v devices in 120v and viceversa. The same store is also selling 220v only appliances with europlugs (im in a 120v country). In some countries, including mine, people install these sockets on the wall (example below)
View attachment 142774
One big problem though is the absence of ground/earth wich people dont even care about since the system itself has no earth ground.
You list your location as Tijuana, MX - one of the most dangerous cities in the world (from drug cartel related murders, illegal border crossing attempts, infectious diseases including TB, Zika and more) and a power strip is your biggest concern?

^^^^ Rather rude and irrelevant.

Exactly, stupid and irrelevant.
I used to travel frequently to Tijuana as there are many electronics companies making components and subcontractor work. Visited many, many times.

As long as you are not some stupid gringo looking for drugs believing that if you get in trouble the US Army will invade Mexico to rescue you, you will be perfectly fine and actually have a good time.

You are right, sir. Thank you. These are quite commonly used where I live. I also like to avoid these. But sometimes there is just no other way.
There certainly should be, use a proper approved adaptor, and not suicide junk :D

First improvement, use an adaptor that only supports your country, and not multiple countries.

Or even better, if practical, fit proper mains sockets and don't use adaptors.

You are right, sir. Thank you. These are quite commonly used where I live. I also like to avoid these. But sometimes there is just no other way.
Yeah, in some countries like mine, electrical safety standards just aren’t a thing, here people are obsessed with taping everything and wiring every outlet without a ground and reverse polarity. Example below:
D2B0806F-B7B9-4033-83D8-8AD173B71036.jpeg

These are super common everywhere in my country. Lets not mention the absolute lack of GFCI /RCDs and super outdated electrical systems (for example, we still use super old magnetic ballasts to start up lamps in our school)

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back