Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power transmission via low diameter wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

joco000

hello,

I want send power through 2 wire with diameter of 1 mm.
Wire is long 1500 m, at end I need 48V DC, 2000 w. At input I have 220V AC, 50 Hz.

Please for some advise where to find information what is best way to realize this.
I believe that need to have at input some high voltage and higher frequency ( 1000 V ).
Probbably transformers will be quite big. What about solution with switching ?

best regards
joe

With wire that thin you need to get the current right down, this would need high voltages - probably far above voltages the thin wire is safe for (a thin wire probably has thin insulation).

What is the resistance per metre of the wire?.

A lot of unknowns and ifs and buts here.

I did a quick and dirty calculation, which may have a few errors and misunderstandings, but it feels right.
For a load regulation of 5% (the difference in voltage between no load and full load), you would need to use transformers to step the line voltage up to about 1800 volts to pass the 2000watts along 1.5km of 1mm dia coper wire.

I stand to be corrected by those with more experience in this area.

JimB

Last edited:
Wire with 1mm core sounds like telecomms cable.

It's going to be VERY hard getting 1mm wire with thick high voltage insulation, although some spark plug lead has a copper core about 1mm diameter and an outer about 7mm.

It's a bit of a dumb idea really, for 2 cables of 1500 metres length cable choice should be based on price, out of the range of cables that will carry the required current. 2000W over 1.5km costs money, no easy way out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back