Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help - unusual project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duffy is right, chasegirl. Your picture doesn't look like the wiring diagram I posted. Two terminals clearly have no wires on them at all, and the wires you do have there don't match the orientation in my diagram. Though your orientation looks reversed from my diagram, and may not matter, why take chances? What are you drinking? :D

Look at the bottom of your switch, just as in your photo, and match it exactly to the diagrammatic picture of the bottom of the switch in my post.

Okay, so jumper across - brown straight across to the opposite terminal and green straight across to it's opposite?

It's a little early to start drinking - besides, I have to work out and walk the dogs, yet. On the other hand, maybe it will help... :rolleyes:

What about the power situation? Wouldn't the motor run at least in one direction without the jumpers?

Hahaha. Just kidding, ya know.

No, the motor won't run without at least one of the jumpers in there. Wire them all up, why don't ya? It's not going to bite. You have a pushbutton switch. Just hold it for a short moment, for a quick smoke test.

Okay, I'll go down there as soon as I get the dogs taken care of. They're really excellent timekeepers and I'm behind schedule! I'm anxious to test it but they're being very pushy about their walk...

As for steeping my brain in solution, I'm not at all opposed and, in fact, plan on doing just that before dinner - workout notwithstanding! :D

Will post my results later this evening. Thanks, again!

Okay, Ccurtis, et al: I put the jumpers on and voila - one side works!! The green side doesn't however - I know there's no power to green but I'm not sure how to connect it. You can see in the photo that I've got green on the motor to green in the cable (to the switch) but nothing else. Should I have an additional lead from the battery and the black motor lead to green?

Halfway there, guys! :D

Attachments

• wiring_small.jpg
    wiring_small.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 137
Well, that's progress I suppose. :)

What is that brown wire doing in there with the red,blk,blk, and org wire???

Take a deep breath, relax. Print out the diagram. Go through every single wire and check them off on the diagram, one by one. It's kinda tough to do that with only a picture of part of it, but that brown wire in with the other four doesn't belong there from everything I have from you. That doesn't necessarily explain why the other direction doesn't work, but it sure puts doubt into the overall correctness of the wiring and/or information I have from your previous posts.

I'm curious as to what direction the motor ran. The usual direction, or the new direction?

PS: I have to check out for the night. See ya tomorrow, chasegirl.

Last edited:
Well, I'm having a bit of a challenge figuring out the diagram so I'm not surprised that my wiring is a bit, er, unorthodox! :)

Have a good night and we'll figure it out tomorrow. 'night...

Okay, ccurtis - here we go again! I put the brown, green, black and orange together because I (clearly) didn't understand your diagram. There's one orange and one black coming from the motor, so how do the green and brown connect? Brown and orange, and black and green?

If I were you chasegirl all I'd be able to see at this point is red =O

Well, I am getting a little frustrated over here. I need to make this d*$!n thing run... but at least one direction is better than nothing! Also, ccurtis, it's running toward the brown, not the green, which is, I think, CW.

Okay, ccurtis - here we go again! I put the brown, green, black and orange together because I (clearly) didn't understand your diagram. There's one orange and one black coming from the motor, so how do the green and brown connect? Brown and orange, and black and green?

The green and brown wires come from the motor and connect only to the switch terminals. Then there are the green and brown jumper wires that get added onto the switch terminals. They should go to no other place. That's what in the diagram, right?

I'm at a loss over here. If everything is connected as in the diagram and it still doesn't work, I am out of options on how to proceed.

Chasegirl, do you have a voltmeter? Trace the voltage through. Start at the battery, and go all the way to the motor. Find out where you are losing the voltage. When it's working, you will see the voltage across the motor. When it isn't, you will see the voltage stop at a switch or relay or something.

Hey, Duffy - yes, I have a voltmeter. My partner finally sat me down and worked through it with me. The jumpers were straight across instead of across the corners and I had the brown lead in with the power and motor leads (as you mentioned, ccurtis). So - it finally worked!! Thanks to you and ccurtis for sticking with me on this.

Now that I've got the machine working, I field tested it and the motor is way underpowered, so Fasco is making me a monster motor with a lot of torque all in a very small package. We'll run those dogs, yet! :D

Thanks, again, guys.

Thanks for letting us know, chasegirl. Glad you got it operating, even if underpowered. I'm a bit confused though. I thought you had it working well enough in the one direction, but only wanted to run it in the other direction too.

Anyways, best wishes with the new motor!

Maybe she got a faster dog.

Or maybe the one direction it was working was backwards, and the dog was chasing it backwards, but now that it's going forwards the dog can run faster. The sighthound is famous for its looks and speed, but not for its intelligence.

Hi, guys - well, I finally got those motors running but they failed miserably in the field test. Now I'm on my 3rd set of motors and these are really amazing state-of-the-art rare earth magnets with 100 oz-in of torque. I'll be field testing them in a couple of weeks but they're supposed to sustain a 50mph speed at load without flagging. Had to go to a 24v system with motion control & potentiometer. What a project! Thanks again for all your help!

Wow! 50mph? Can the dogs really run that fast?

Certainly not all of them, but some of them can. I had an inquiry from a guy in England who has dogs that can outrun horses! And we had a Whippet who ran our 450 yard course (that's really short, BTW) in 16.2 seconds - that's just over 51mph!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back