Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help - unusual project

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, green is always grounded and grounding black also, makes it spin one way, and brown the other? Is that correct?

Your manufactuer is going to build you a custom motor? Wow. How popular is this sport? I'd never heard of it until today.

Last edited:
Yup, that's it.

Yeah, the initial motor will cost me about $60 but after that they'll be around half that for production. Way cool!

Lure coursing is actually an AKC and ASFA sport that sighthounds (Greyhounds, Whippets, Borzoi, etc.) can earn titles in. I own an all-breed club and it is an extremely popular sport. We put on the lure coursing event at Wags-for-Wishes (big charitable event benefitting the Make-A-Wish Foundation) every July and typically run about 600 dogs. Lots o'fun! These portable are getting very popular because they're easy to use, affordable, portable and, of course, FUN. The dogs go nuts for it. :D

The attached file is what I come up with. This is based on the info you provided from the label on motor. I figure that has to be pretty accurate.

Attachments

• Drawing1.gif
    Drawing1.gif
    238.5 KB · Views: 199
That's really cool! Thanks!!!! Doesn't the momentary switch need to be wired into the dpdt switch somehow? On the big field machines it is, so I thought that's how it had to be. But then, they don't use a relay, they have 2 solenoids. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone...:eek:

I'll get this thing wired up over the weekend and let you know how it works. Thanks, again!

That's really cool! Thanks!!!! Doesn't the momentary switch need to be wired into the dpdt switch somehow? On the big field machines it is, so I thought that's how it had to be. But then, they don't use a relay, they have 2 solenoids. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone...:eek:

I'll get this thing wired up over the weekend and let you know how it works. Thanks, again!

The momentary switch will still energize the relay, just like the unit in the unmodified wiring diagram you provided. Just put the DPDT switch in CW or CCW position and press the pushbutton. The motor will run CW or CCW depending on where you set the DPDT switch.

Holy smokes - National Lampoon, April 1976: "Dog fishing in America".

I SAW THAT ONE!!! That was the one where the guy was sitting in the chair in the back of a pickup truck like it was a bass-boat or something, right? And he had a fishing pole, and a dog bone for bait, and they were driving through the alleys catching stray dogs, dragging lures, all kinds of stuff.

A saluki is a pretty awesome dog, though, right?

Yeah, and that's a sighthound, too. So if you had a saluki, you would take him to the park and he would chase a string, which is cool, I guess. Do you think they would make good frisbee dogs?

Probably, I mean dogs aren't going to SMELL the frisbee coming.

I didn't see it... but that's a kind of rudimentary lure coursing, I guess.

Nope, Salukis don't make good frisbee dogs because of their physiological structure. They are built for speed - very long legs, long neck, light frame, deep chest, high tuck to the abdomen, eyes placed closer to the front of their skull to facilitate hunting by sight.

Frisbee dogs need to be agile vertically and have the power to launch themselves - whole different structure.

In lure coursing, the dogs don't chase the string, they chase a white plastic bag which, once on the string and running at 40mph, jumps and twists and looks just like prey. The dogs' prey-drive kicks in and they just can't resist trying to catch it! :D

Dang! Thanks for letting me know. I still think the Saluki looks cool, but I always secretly thought sighthounds would make the best Frisbee dogs.

National Lampoon was sorta like "The Onion" back in the 70's, and this was a fake sports article. Couldn't find a link online, but worth checking out for the lulz, considering.

Machine wiring

Hey, ccurtis -

Okay, here are the photos. So far the nothing at all works except the relay is clicking on with every depression of the momentary switch. The motor doesn't run in either direction. I believe I have not put power where it needs to be but can't figure it out....:confused:

Thanks, again...

Attachments

• switch_small.jpg
    switch_small.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 149
  • wiring_small.jpg
    wiring_small.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 154
If that's a reversing switch, you need that brown and green repeated on the diametric opposite sides of that DPDT switch.

...so when black contacts brown, blue contacts green, and vice-versa.

Okay, I know this will sound dumb, but what exactly does that mean? Do I run a jumper across the corner terminals or just connect one of the other wires in the cord to the terminals at one end and the brown & green wires at the other? Very challenging doing this kind of work without an electrical or engineering background!! :mad:

Jumper across the corner terminals. Look at that diagram from ccurtis on the previous page. It shows the brown and green jumpers on the reversing switch.

Last edited:
Polarity reversing

Reversing polarity should be quite simple,Two suitably rated 5 pin relays(CO),& a 3 position switch.If you want to control the speed use a PWM,capable of coping with the Ampage.

Attachments

• POLARITY REVERSING.jpg
    POLARITY REVERSING.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 168
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back