Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mirror effect on a video signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThermalRunaway

Hi everyone. A bit of background on my question first: I've installed a wireless camera which gives me a rear view from the back of my caravan. The idea behind this is that when I'm towing, I can see what's behind me from the LCD DVD/TV system I've got installed in my Land Rover. I've hooked it all up, got it all working, and it's quite impressive.

Unfortunately, I didn't realise when I put all this together that the image viewed on the screen would be backwards - what's on the left is displayed on the right and what's on the right is displayed on the left. The reason it's all backwards is because the camera is facing behind and away from me but the screen I'm viewing is ahead and in front of me.

I've been wondering wether I could do some work on the video signal from the camera which would allow me to flip the displayed image horizontally, but I haven't turned up many ideas as to how this could be done.

Can anyone offer any thoughts at all?

Brian

For what I have been reading there is not an easy way of doing it digitally if you are using a LCD, which is my guess you are.

How about using an actual mirror? Kind of what is found in the cameras.

It all depends on the lcd you are using. A lot of lcds have a scan control bits that
are used to do just what you are talking about. If you are lucky and can find the datasheet
for the LCD it might be as simple as pulling a pin to ground or to Vcc.

kingpin094

ivancho said:
How about using an actual mirror? Kind of what is found in the cameras.

You could either view the LCD through a mirror or point the camera at a mirror.

Well although I'm using an LCD device to view the image, the video signal itself is simple composite video. I could probably point the camera at a mirror yes - that would give me the effect I want, it's just a case of rigging something up I guess.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on an Electronic solution, if there is one. The only idea I came up with was to digitsise the video signal a line scan at a time and reverse the information, then convert it back to analogue. I'm not sure this would give the effect I'm looking for, and it would undoubtedly be incredibly complicated.

Brian

Reversing camera

I'm sure I've seen cameras specifically for this job.
They have a switch to reverse the image so a normal monitor can be used.

ThermalRunaway said:
Well although I'm using an LCD device to view the image, the video signal itself is simple composite video. I could probably point the camera at a mirror yes - that would give me the effect I want, it's just a case of rigging something up I guess.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on an Electronic solution, if there is one. The only idea I came up with was to digitsise the video signal a line scan at a time and reverse the information, then convert it back to analogue. I'm not sure this would give the effect I'm looking for, and it would undoubtedly be incredibly complicated.

It's something that is extremely trivial on a CRT set (simply reverse the line scan coil connections), but, as you've suggested, to do it to the composite signal is very complicated!.

it would probably be easier to just go on ebay and buy a new camera. you can buy really small cameras that are specifically designed to be used for rear-view, they are usually made to be mounted in a hole in the back, like a key-hole, and most importantly, they give you mirrored video output automatically so you can just display it directly. and they can be found for like $30.

**broken link removed**

I've just repaired a Sharp 20 inch LCD TV, it has a button on the remote control labelled 'Rotate' - press it once and the picture is mirror imaged, press it again and it's upside down!.

I'm not very sure of the reason for such a facility?, but it's FUN! :lol:

I have a small 6" LCD display that's intended for use in car headrests, so kids can watch movies in the back seat, and it has a button to rotate the display, you can rotate it to display in all 4 directions, and I think mirror it also, so the screen can be mounted in any orientation, which was good because for my use I had it mounted upside-down.

I imagine the LCD TV had that feature so it could be used as an advertising display or something, where it might be mounted in some weird orientation.

Alright thanks everyone. The attraction with the camera that I bought was wireless connection, but I think you might be right - a rearview camera might be the better way to go.

I'll also check the LCD TV system I'm using and see if it has an image-rotation control on it.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back