Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making a spring from steel wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

eblc1388

I need to make two springs to pop open the lid of my project box when I energise a relay.

No matter how hard I tried, I cannot make a spring as shown in the diagram. The one I made is too "tall" as shown at the bottom.

What is the secret of make such spring?

Edited: Apparantly I need to use some tools(instead of just winding the wire by hand on a drill bit) in order to coil the wire. The answer is in the following webpage.

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 504
Hiya,
I found the easiest way to make springs is by using a lathe setup in screw cutting mode. Just set the pitch to the pitch of the spring and make up a simple jig to tension and feed the wire. As for bending the ends just apply a BIT of heat not too much and bend them with pliers. I remember back in my school days the teacher tried to make a spring and got the spring steel embedded in his hand and didn't he see red when I got up and showed him how to make one properly. Well I did learn to use a lathe when I was 8 years old thanks to my late mech engineer father.
Oh and I don't bother making them anymore as I have 100's sitting round in a few boxes.

Cheers Bryan :D

That works too , Bryan..
years ago i worked at a place that had a sprng making machine, the trick was to start with a roll of spring steel..
then this machine fed it into a device which bent it to the desired dia. and length and cut it off..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back