Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

enamelled wire

arivel

Hi everyone .
Besides fire and sandpaper, are there any other alternatives for removing enamel from copper wire?
Thank you.

One alternative method for removing enamel from copper wire is to use a chemical stripper specifically designed for this purpose.
Name one. Crosslinked or heavily entangled polymers don't normally dissolve - they swell and stretch but don't exactly cause the enamel to fall off in a way to insure electrical contact. Also, an array of polymers are used to make the generically tagged "enamel" - like polyurethane, thermoplastic polyurethane, various polyesters, polyimide, polyamide-Imide copolymers, I'm interested in a brand name "specifically designed for this purpose".

Exactly - read now it works. It doesn't dissolve the polymer, you still have to wipe off (pull off) the softened insulation after it is swelled and softened by the mixture.

Since 2019, any company shipping a product like this to a residential address can face a major penalty ($42000 per day fine if I remember correctly). Methylene chloride has no place in consumer level products.

Exactly - read now it works. It doesn't dissolve the polymer, you still have to wipe off (pull off) the softened insulation after it is swelled and softened by the mixture.

Since 2019, any company shipping a product like this to a residential address can face a major penalty ($42000 per day fine if I remember correctly). Methylene chloride has no place in consumer level products.

Hello again,

I just checked on Amazon they have solder pots for sale at about $18 USD.
They are a little too big for my needs though, they have a 2 inch diameter pot, and it looks to be at least 1 inch deep maybe more. That's going to take a lot of solder to fill to the required level. The blow and gutted diode pot is much smaller and so takes a lot less solder to fill up, and seems to have the right depth.
The solder pots are nice though, temperature dial and everything like that. There may be a limited life on the pots themselves though, they may deteriorate after some time, they give you one pot plus one replacement pot.

USA

I just checked, the fines have not been finalized but EPA and TSCA related fines have been in the range of $35k per day and this one specifically says it may include imprisonment so it will likely be on the high side.

Hi,

Wow, we need a lawyer before we can do anything these days ha ha.

Selling any flowable material (liquid or solid) is a difficult proposition. Lots of regulations that most people are unaware of but the post office, FedEx and UPS should be asking more questions than they do - currently they just ask about lithium batteries.

There are many more materials besides methylene chloride to get you in a heap of trouble. You can even get in trouble for improperly packaging water (or any other liquid), improperly labeling, or too much in one package, or even preparing the shipment without proper certification (if the material is actually a "hazardous material").

Selling any flowable material (liquid or solid) is a difficult proposition. Lots of regulations that most people are unaware of but the post office, FedEx and UPS should be asking more questions than they do - currently they just ask about lithium batteries.

There are many more materials besides methylene chloride to get you in a heap of trouble. You can even get in trouble for improperly packaging water (or any other liquid), improperly labeling, or too much in one package, or even preparing the shipment without proper certification (if the material is actually a "hazardous material").
Then you should mention what country this refers to it, as it's only specific to your country - not world wide.

Obviously, in this thread, you did eventually mention the USA, but only after been asked.

Then you should mention what country this refers to it, as it's only specific to your country - not world wide.

Obviously, in this thread, you did eventually mention the USA, but only after been asked.
Seems to be a general problem with this site - plenty of people asking how to source x, y or z and no indication of their country. Other forums have nicely placed the user's country at the the header of each of their posts. Many convenience upgrades are possible on this site that could eliminate a list of "you should" instructions that we have to remember.

If you hover over any users name at the left, it shows their location - IF they have bothered to set it!
That's two problems - users are not forced to enter a location (or the IP address is not decided to give us a location) so only 1 in 10 have a location AND
The hover concept doesn't exist for tablets so, we have to drill down to see check the user, about, location series which is a PITA because it is usually empty anyhow.

That's two problems - users are not forced to enter a location (or the IP address is not decided to give us a location) so only 1 in 10 have a location AND
The hover concept doesn't exist for tablets so, we have to drill down to see check the user, about, location series which is a PITA because it is usually empty anyhow.
Hi,

I set mine because I like to allow members to see at least approximately where I am from.
It's nice to see where other members are from too.
I will not set my Geo coordinates however (ha ha).
I also will not carry around a GPS tracking device so someone could locate my exact location to the nearest meter (ha ha ha).

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back