Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM13600 a replacement for CA3080?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Groves

I bought 3 CA3080's a while back and wanted to order another 10 for future projects since they are hard to come by, however the supplier doesn't have any more (bigbear) so i was wondering if i can use one half of an LM13600 instead?

Neil.

i meant smallbear, sorry.

Last edited:
The LM13600 is fairly different from the old CA3080 but it can be used the same if you know how. It is also obsolete and not made anymore.
The LM13700 is different again but a few are still available.

Your problem is that you are trying to make old obsolete circuits with hard to find old obsolete parts.

Why not try to source a currently supported chip? Just because you know how to use the old one doesn't mean you should keep using it and go out of your way to find them... especially if they've been discontinued.

Jameco Electronics www.jameco.com
Has them (they call them LM3080) their part number is 12116. There right in your area too. Not cheap though $3.75 each in 10 quantities.

The LM13600 is fairly different from the old CA3080 but it can be used the same if you know how. It is also obsolete and not made anymore.
The LM13700 is different again but a few are still available.

Your problem is that you are trying to make old obsolete circuits with hard to find old obsolete parts.

But what wonderful circuits they are Audioguru, i can't find any modern equivalents that are so easy.

Neil.

Why not try to source a currently supported chip? Just because you know how to use the old one doesn't mean you should keep using it and go out of your way to find them... especially if they've been discontinued.

I'm not sure what the modern day replacements are Sceadwian.

Neil.

Jameco Electronics www.jameco.com
Has them (they call them LM3080) their part number is 12116. There right in your area too. Not cheap though $3.75 each in 10 quantities.

It might just come to that Brevor unless smallbear can get any in stock soon, all the circuits i have on my list of projects are 30 years old and most use this particular device, so if i buy 10 i know they will get used.

thanks for the heads up.

Neil.

Years ago I worked for a company that manufactured electronic musical instruments mostly organs and synthesizers. We used CA3080's by the truckload, each one had a bias adjustment to minimize feedthrough of the drive signal into the audio. If it could not be adjusted low enough we would just replace the 3080 and try again. The ones that would not meet the specs were returned to the manufacturer for credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back