Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm looking for a replacement for my M8N module.

Robert Gron

Hello everyone, may I ask a question? May bethere is someone here who can give me advice. I'm a bit confused...
I'm looking for a replacement for my M8N module. Maybe this one https://gnss.store/zed-f9p-gnss-modules/104-elt0091.html (it seems like it can work independently, installed on acopter/drone?), or this one https://gnss.store/zed-f9p-gnss-modules/101-elt0089.html would be suitable replacements for the M8N? Or would I still need to have a ground station?
I have just started learning about RTK technology but would like to order the necessary equipment. Any information would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

I can't advise on the M8N compatibility, sorry..

RTK needs a ground station - somewhere...

If it's close to you, you get better accuracy, but using a public one miles away is better than nothing.

I've set my own up, as I was already using a Raspberry Pi & a ublox gnss board with outdoor fixed antenna as an NTP reference, so adding the RTK part was quite easy.

I used this:

with the Ardusimple ZED-F9P development board

(Though mine cost a lot less, from another reseller!)

I can't advise on the M8N compatibility, sorry..

RTK needs a ground station - somewhere...

If it's close to you, you get better accuracy, but using a public one miles away is better than nothing.

I've set my own up, as I was already using a Raspberry Pi & a ublox gnss board with outdoor fixed antenna as an NTP reference, so adding the RTK part was quite easy.

I used this:

with the Ardusimple ZED-F9P development board
atlanta landscaping company

(Though mine cost a lot less, from another reseller!)
About a week ago I installed a BN-800 GPS in my backup Solo. I thought that for under $18 it was worth experimenting with. I had hoped to get one of the V2 GPS shields from the 3DR store, but it seems they aren't available now. I ended up reusing the original one. I also created a design for a 3D printed mounting bracket (uploaded to Thingiverse). Someone else has a generic GPS mounting bracket for the Solo on Thingiverse, but it moves the GPS lower behind the battery, which can't be a good thing. My bracket keeps the GPS module at the same height and slightly more forward. I've noticed that some other people have installed this GPS (or the seemingly identical RTFQ Mini8) in their Solos and have reported mostly good results. I did not update the firmware or any settings in the GPS. I just spliced the new wiring harness into the original one. After about a half-dozen flights, my impression is also mostly good. It definitely acquires satellites quickly, but seems to need a few more of them before Solo is happy with the HDOP and gives a ready for takeoff. It easily gets 12-14 on the ground, and then increases to around 20 in the air. It occasionally gets 21. The HDOP values peak at around 0.6 to 0.7. Compared to the original REV B, it gets at least 6 more satellites. (most ever seen was 15 on REV B). The best HDOP on the REV B was 0.7, so not a big improvement there... One thing I have noticed with the new GPS is that it seems to drift a bit more over time. Not an enormous amount, but perhaps 10 feet or so. The original REV B was usually only a few feet. I'm curious what experiences other people may have had with these inexpensive GPS's - especially the RTFQ Mini8. Did you reflash the firmware or change any of the stock settings? Yes, I know the mRobotics GPS is better, but it's also 4x the price of the BN800.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back